New to the Forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New to the Forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Dare on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

Hey all! Recently inherited a 25 model t pickup from my grandfather. I've got it up and running which is very exciting, but I can only get about .25 of a mile before it starts to backfire and cut out. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:05 pm:

check the fuel tank for any goop and clean out if need be. Sometimes fresh gas loosens goop from the sides and top that was not visible until vibration and chemicals dissolved it.Check the fuel lines for a good flow and check the carburetor bowel for trash and float valve setting to make sure it is not closing to quick.
Sounds like fuel starvation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

Also check and clean the screen in the pumpkin under the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Welcome!

I agree with the others, sounds like a fuel contamination / starvation problem.

Don't be tempted to install an aftermarket fuel filter, they introduce too much of a restriction for the gravity feed system to handle. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Dare on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Thank you all! I'll check that out next! It's pretty warm out here in IL this afternoon about 95!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Yep....you almost certainly have a fuel delivery issue.

And welcome. I'm only 18 months into this Model T obsession but having more fun than I ever had with my "newer" antique cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

Another potential problem would be with the level of gas in your tank. I agree with all the above about having clean lines and carburetor as well as clean screen on sediment bowl.

The tank needs to have enough gas to flow easily to the carburetor. If you are attempting to pull a hill, the fuel in the tank might be lower than the carburetor. For hills be sure the tank is almost full.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

Welcome. Make sure the vent in the gas cap is clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Dare on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Update- carb was littered with junk from the tank cleaned it all out and after running through some of the old fuel, runs like s champ! Thank you again all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Welcome Shane. These people here can solve about any problem you can come up with on a T. Glad its running again. Now how about some photos of that T.
Drive safe and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Dare on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 07:20 pm:

Update- carb was littered with junk from the tank cleaned it all out and after running through some of the old fuel, runs like s champ! Thank you again all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

Shane, you need a better mechanic. Ha! I guess we should checked that earlier, but definitely too hot to work. Did you get the oil changed? I will go thru my duplicate tools and get you a basic set to keep in the truck. Call if you need anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Dare on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Hey Kim,
Yep got it changed Saturday. Still a terrible day to get the work done haha Thank you again for all of your help over the last few weeks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:27 am:

Shane,

Welcome to the hobby & forum! Thanks Kim for helping him with the car.

Depending on how long it has been since the car was driven regularly, you may want to go through some of the items on the "How to Remove a T from Mothballs" check list at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html and scroll down to Tom Mullinís posting the third posting from the top. It is also available as a Microsoft Word document at the link: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/REMOVING_A_T_from_Mothballs-762335.d oc

And there are several safety items that I would recommend any new owner review. They are usually common knowledge to folks that have had Ts for a while. But they are often surprises to new owners. See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696360.html and scroll down to the first long posting with lots of links. Someday I'll learn to say things more concisely.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration