Old Photo: Brass T and Indian Motorcycle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo: Brass T and Indian Motorcycle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Here's some nice details from a glass negative in the collection of the History Museum of Hood River County (Oregon). The bike's plate is dated 1915. There's a good story behind the house (which is still around). It was built by "Captain" McCan, something of a rich playboy. He had a dirt racetrack around back, and a barn filled with cars (his and his friends). The barn collapsed in a winter snowstorm about 1910, damaging a good percentage of the cars in Hood River. By 1915 McCan had moved on and the house became the headquarters of the Agricultural Experiment Station.

As nice as the Roadster is, I would really like to know more about that motorcycle.

T

Cycle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

Its an Indian 61cui twin, I think it's a 1914 two speed model. No later than 1915 since it's the Hedstrom engine and not earlier than 1914 since the frame was heavier under the saddle the first year for the rear springs = 1913.

(Message edited by Roger K on June 16, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

That's a nice Motocycle, has been used, by the dents in the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 11:24 pm:

I would guess a 14 also, neat shot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:49 am:

When I posted the bike photo among Indian experts, they recognized it as a 1913 two speed. Those rare models had a longer frame than the regular single speed 13's to get room for the transmission, thus my confusion :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

Thanks for the ID on the bike. What about the T? Is there enough visible for a definitive identification of the year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

looks like early 1915,bulb horn,odd side lights. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 02:29 am:

Thank you Charley S, I had not paid much attention to the sidelamp when I looked at it earlier. There were at least three various early versions of the '15 sidelamps before the common '15 style. It must be remembered that even among the common standard '15 style, they were made to Ford specifications by several different lamp companies. Fit of some parts varies enough to cause problems in restoration if one does not have proper intact original lamps (been there done that). Although minor changes were made through the next several years (the change from brass to steel bezels was a more significant change), the lamps mostly remained almost the same until the Ford-O lamps about 1925. Even those basically appear the same, and some pieces still interchange.

I say there were at least three earlier versions. I think the count is higher than that. At least two versions were used on only the center-door sedans and coupelets built in the last few months of 1914. These had broader bezels and smaller lenses than the later lamps. At least one version I understand had a larger bezel. I don't know exactly when they were used, and never had one or looked very closely at one myself. At least one (I think at least two), at a glance look very much like the common later lamps, except for the oil bowl. It is quite different, and appears a bit more like the earlier square oil sidelamp bowls did. They have a rolled seam all the way around the bowl. Upon close inspection, nearly everything about the lamp and most of its parts is different than the common later lamps. The entire inside burner area is very different. I have a tail-lamp of this variation.
A couple of the early '15 oil lamps are shown on page 222 of Bruce's black book, including one tail-lamp. Closeups of details are not shown there.

There were also after-market lamps made by some of the same manufacturers that looked very much like the Ford lamps. Many of those used earlier style spade mounts rather than the Ford single rear bolt. However, some of those after-market lamps were available with the single bolt. Chances are, the OP photo car would at that time have had its original lamps. If that is the case? It would indicate it would be a rather early '15 style runabout. Most likely built around January or February of 1915. Royce Peterson had the production figures for the first months of the '15 style production. I don't recall the exact numbers. I wonder if this could even be one of the very few December '14 cars. Very few were actually built before February '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Many years ago, I had the chance to buy an Indian much like that (1916 I think) for $200!!! I didn't do it. What a jerk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

i got lucky back in 1995 and sold off 15 brass fords and how i have 14 indians 1930 to 53.they dont take up near as much room,and worth a lot more money.charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration