1925 coupe assemble

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1925 coupe assemble
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig hall on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:27 am:

Has anyone assembled a 25 coupe, I have one that was completely disassembled. I need advice as to where to start with assembly. Please contact me if possible

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 08:12 am:

I have one, and did a complete nut and bolt restoration. I have some pictures of the project. Maybe not enough, but some help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 08:54 am:

I have a 24 Coupe that I restored.

I did it sort of like the way Ford did it.
I restored the complete chassis first. I built up the frame, wheels and differential. Then rebuilt the engine and installed a new radiator and gas tank.

Got it to running drove it and then started with the body. After I replaced some of the wood I then set the body back on the chassis.

You mentioned your Coupe was taken apart. Was the wood or what was left of it kept or thrown away.

You can go to Fordwood and check out their Body wood structure diagrams and kits they sell. They can be of help to see what goes where as far as the wood is concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Craig,

As John mentioned – please let folks know if the body is just off the chassis but is basically solid or if the wood is gone from the body and you have a pile of body panels and you want help in knowing how to assemble the coupe body.

For info on restoring the chassis and the wood skeleton of a 1925 Coupe, the “Vintage Ford” Jan – Feb and Mar – Apr 1997 editions have part 1 and part 2 of Milt Webb’s article on how he rewooded and restored a 1925 coupe. The club allows us to distribute that article for non-commercial use for free. If you or anyone else would like a copy – drop me an e-mail with “Send Milt’s 1925 Coupe article” or something similar in the title along with your e-mail address. If you click on my name at the top of this posting it brings up my profile and my e-mail address is the 3rd line down. Note, I cannot send attachments via the Private Message feature – but you can send me your e-mail address that way if you desire.

For instructions on how to assemble a 1925 Ford touring (a lot of it is the same) – please see pages 21 to 49 of the book “Ford Service.” It is available on line at: http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/servicemanual/1925smcolor.pdf . It is also reprinted in hard copy and is part # T-1 at Lang’s and other vendors. See: https://www.modeltford.com/item/T1.aspx or on CD at: https://www.modeltford.com/item/T1-CD.aspx It is also available from Amazon.com etc – but I do NOT recommend their lowest priced versions. I bought one just to put in the car – but it looked like a Xerox of the book and it had the same size printed page but printed it with a really wide margin on each page. And it was blurry etc. Read the reviews on Amazon.com and you will see that is mentioned by several people (I think I may be one of those?)

If you do need to rewood the body – I would suggest contacting Ronald Buckley. His contact information is listed in the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/740873.html?1490868429 He rewooded a 1925 Canadian Coupe which is very similar to the USA 1925 Coupes. He sells rewooding plans. He wrote an article for the “Vintage Ford” that was published – but at the moment I cannot locate it.

See also the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/213448.html?1306461290 which will lead you to other links.

And if you are rewooding your coupe body, you may want to consider mounting a wooden speedster or Rootlieb speedster body or open express body on your restored chassis. That way you could drive your car while you work on the body and then sell the speedster or other body when you are ready to mount your coupe body.

Good luck with your project.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

Hap has some good advice and information about Coupe body reassembly.
Hopefully when you got the chassis and disassembled body it still had the body brackets, trunk hinges, and exterior body panel trim pieces. The trim pieces are nailed over the sheet metal seams.
These parts are fairly hard to find and are not being reproduced. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

I own a '26 Fordor and a '25 Coupe. Currently the Coupe is assembled to the A-pillars and then I stopped to jump back to another car.

I have found it's best to start at the dash and work back. The cowl metal and A-pillar brackets reference attaching points on the frame. The doors and sills tell you where to put the B-pillars with the latches. From there, you use the quarter panels to reference where the rest of the metal goes.

I have the Canadian Coupe assembly book with the full size patterns and some of the old body wood and am using both for reference. The two do not match. As others have stated in other threads, there were several versions of the '25 Coupe as the design changed a few times.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration