Speedster suspension question!!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speedster suspension question!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 08:38 am:

For a while I am trying to make a speedster running again.
The way the front axle is attached to the frame do not make me happy and I was looking for a better way to do it.
Yesterday I found this on a swap meet:

Now I am looking for the right bolts and nuts to add the front axle to the part.
I think the bolt are UNF 11/16, 5 inch long 4.1/4 plane.
Can someone help me with these bolts an nuts, castle nuts if possible.

Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 08:55 am:

McMaster Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/) has drilled bolts and castle nuts, called slotted nuts by them. I am not sure what the delivery is in Belgium but I think they ship world wide. I have an account with them and ordering is very simple. Just one click. Too simple really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Excellent score Andre!! Ive never seen lowering brackets like those before... similar to Laurel brackets, but allow for the upper wishbone. Very neat!

As for the bolts, you wont find 11/16 bolts in any catalog. I make my own bolts from warn out T rear axle shafts. They are tough, but machine nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 11:21 am:

Thanks Niel,

I saved the web page and took contact to order the needed stuff.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

I believe older Cummins truck engines used 11/16" head bolts with full size shanks, models that start with H or NH 1930s till 1990, but probably not in Europe. Too long, but might machine. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

I'm impressed you found such a cool speedster item in europe - there weren't much of that kind sold over here..

11/16" is about 17.5 mm, so if you find M18 bolts of fitting length, then it should be possible to ream out the holes for 18 mm?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Andre,

I looked again at McMaster Carr and could not find any 11/16 bolts. I think this discussion will help:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/436829.html?1398394251

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration