Flashing a generator for positive ground

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Flashing a generator for positive ground
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 11:47 am:

I have a new generator, and my T is positive ground. How do I flash the generator for it to charge right? I have a FP voltage regulator too. Both not installed on car yet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

Whoops.. T is neg. ground. Don't hook up anything yet. Others will chime in as I don't recall the exact procedure but your batt. is connected wrong. Wait for instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

You can have positive ground if you want.
To polarize the generator just ark a hot wire on the pole coming out of the generator a couple of times.
You can do it by jumping the two poles on the FP regulator.
Just make the jumper wire spark a couple times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

I'm pretty sure that you can not have a positive ground with a FP regulator. The regulator is set up with a diode and is only NEG ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george loranger on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

i too have a question on polarizing. first on aoron post he says arc the wire from pole on generator. where does the other end wire go? also would this be the same on a regular cut out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

"You can do it by jumping the two poles on the FP regulator"

Doing that will kill the Funprojects regulator. Remove it first.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

Here how I do it.
I first take off all cutouts or regulators.
Than I connect a 12V 21W lamp between the generator terminal and the frame (ground connection).
Start the engine and flash the generator with the hot generator wire. If there is no problem with your generator the lamp will light up and will become clear.
Stop the engine and rebuild the cutout ( regulator) back on the generator. Old style cutout doesn't matter if your car is positive or negative grounded. Diode cutout or FP regulator is different. For a positive ground car you need a diode cutout or FP regulator set up for positive grounding, same for negative ground cars need diode cutout or FP regulator set up for negative ground cars.

Hope this helps.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Iím seeing some mis-information here...

Please, Open up the Fun Projects regulator and read the instructions before you do anything!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Copied from: http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/5055R6-041418.pdf

WARNINGS!! - This voltage regulator is for use on standard Ford Model T 6 volt negative
ground generator/6volt battery systems only. Permanent damage can result if this voltage
regulator is connected even momentarily to any other system using 8 or 12 volt battery. Check
which post of the battery is connected to the car ground (frame). If the negative (-) terminal is not
connected to the frame then you do not have the correct voltage regulator or your battery is installed
incorrectly!! Do not attempt to proceed until the battery is installed properly!! Never send your
regulator to a "generator shop". Follow instructions carefully or you will destroy your new regulator.
Never short the voltage regulator terminals together as with a jumper wire to test the operation
of the regulator or to flash the generator - The voltage regulator will be damaged.

fyi, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 10:18 pm:

The GO regulator is pos ground already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

September 25th 2009 MTFCA forum has a good discussion on the subject of positive / negative
ground.

One theory presented was that Henry switched the model A to positive ground to be different from chevrolet and most of the other car makers of the times that were negative ground ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:21 am:

OK, Tim, here are my comments on this. Firstly if your FP regulator is the standard one for the Model T it is for negative ground. A FP regulator is available for positive ground. I believe it is marketed for the Ford 2N / 9N / 8N tractors. That is the one you need to stay with positive ground.

I believe the better solution would be to simply turn the battery around and use the standard regulator and be back to the way Ford built it. Is there a reason you want to stay with positive ground?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 11:31 pm:

Steve Hughes

You are INCORRECT with suggesting the use of the FP regulator for the 2N/9N/8N when changing the Model T to positive ground. The 2N/9N/8N regulator is indeed a positive ground regulator but it mounts to the motor at a place away from the generator and that mounting is not the least bit compatible with the Ford T generator mounting. Why not just use the standard 6V negative Ground regulator designed for the Model T? It is simple to flash the generator back to original negative ground operation and can be done in less than a minute while wearing a suite and tie and you won't get dirty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 01:16 am:

Thank you John for the correction. I knew that the FP regulator for the N series tractors was positive ground, but was unaware of the different mounting. You will note in my last sentence that I was also suggesting the use of the standard negative ground regulator and returning to the standard Model T configuration. Never got a response from the OP as to why he is wanting to stay with the positive ground configuration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Steve, you do have a point, why not just make it neg ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

As far as I know there's absolutely no advantage of Neg. over Pos. ground. In fact in over 50+ years of professionally messing with this stuff the ONLY time I ever heard any thing different about current flow was in the Air Force as an aircraft electrician. In Tech School (Chanute Field Ill.) They taught that current flowed from the Neg. to the Pos. (F-4 was neg ground). Claimed it was the only way to explain how some f the systems worked. Go figure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration