Off Topic...but need help identifying???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Off Topic...but need help identifying???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

Since my assumption is most members on this site are older and have seen a lot of different things, I was hoping someone might know where/what this light fixture came from or off of, or anything you could tell me about it. Please see the attached pics:
light pics,light pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

more pics:
light pics,light pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Also, it is 15" tall, about 9.5" wide at widest point, and weighs 22 lbs! It appears to be mostly cast iron and has a brass "finial" at the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 01:09 pm:

Just a guess on my part but looks like it mounts to the top of a pole or post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

One last thing, the seller I bought it from thought it came off a ship? At least he was told that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

Generally things like that on ships are brass so they don't rust away. It's a protected light,probaly off some industrial site over stairs,walkway,something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

What's with that out-sized dome top with the (brass ?) acorn nut ? Seems unnecessary amount of material involved simply to cap a lightbulb - is there anything going on inside that dome ? Fun to see ! I really enjoy the "what is it ?" threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:18 pm:

Top off a gas pump? Bet at one time there was a glass globe around the outside with a notch to allow it to be opened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

Could this be a beacon off of a tower or something similar. Would have had a Red lens more than likely. Jim

(Message edited by tfan on June 17, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Much Thanks for the replies, but still wondering I guess?!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

I thought for sure someone on here would know exactly what this is? Nobody else???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Walt

My venture guess :-)

Seems so tough with that cage and bolt on cover, that its an explosion proof lamp. They make those today, just not cast up like your early version. May be missing the glass globe that would have been encased inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

Last shot to get any more replies???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

I think Dan's got it.

Look up antique explosion proof light or something similar. You will get images that have similar looking lamps! This one just looks either a lot tougher or older being so rugged looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:20 pm:

I was thinking it was a gas street lamp converted to electric. The gas tube and burner would have been in the bottom of the fixture and so the wires for the electric socket would also come up from the bottom. Cast iron to take the heat of the flame. Just a guess.

-Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

Electric Chamber Pot missing the ceramic bowl

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration