What is it with some sellers?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What is it with some sellers?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Alvord on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

Thought I had a T but the seller tacked on a fee at the end over the agreed price so I passed... I don't play that game.

In the last two months I've dealt with sellers on craigslist or folks who have responded to my ads. I make it a point to be courteous and friendly whether inquiring, asking for more information or declining an offer. While there have been a handful of nice interactions by far most of them have been jerks with a rude, curt, up yours attitude with the exception being the forum here... you folks are nice. Maybe I've just had bad luck but I've always tried to treat people as I want to be treated but some folks just like to be nasty I guess. Dang, It's just a hobby...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

What sort of fee? I've never heard of a surprise fee at the end of the sale but would like to understand the details so I don't have the same issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

Jason,

Not all sellers are like that but you do find them in every bunch. My problem is when I buy something from a picture or word of mouth, the seller hides the flaws or just plain lies about it. I have been stung quite a few times because I feel a mans word should stand for something but will not buy a car anymore unless I can see it in person. I tend to point out things to a buyer that I feel they should know like on my 26 that is for sale. I know something that should be looked at and point it out so the new owner can fix it and be safe to drive it. If the buyer thinks it is not something they want to mess with they can walk away and everything is fine. The only thing that would cost extra is shipping after the deal is made. I may have missed it but what kind of T are you looking for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Never buy a car sight unseen unless you get a considerable discount. That way you will not get any surprises. I recently flew to California to look at three cars before deciding which if any to buy. It is well worth the time and expense. That way you can make a face to face deal. Just my two cents worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Alvord on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Gary, it was a dealer... we negotiated a price and then right before payment they wanted to be paid for some paperwork stuff... which would have been fine if they had mentioned it before we had a deal, but they didn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Alvord on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

Bob, i'm after a 1919-27 touring or truck. There have been a few i've been ready to pull the trigger on but the sellers jerked me around on price or dropped some rude comments as a deal was reached... I used to think it was hard to find a buyer that that wouldn't play games, now its the other way around, lol!

I've restricted my looking recently to the states in my area but still I find them... the crotchety seller! Don't get me wrong I don't need to have my hand held and be kissed on the cheek, just don't need the attitude! As a rule I try not to insult someone when they're about to hand me thousands of dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

I've bought new cars from dealers who attempt to get a documentation fee out of me but I'll walk before I would pay it. They have other little tricks they try so be ready and do not go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

I bid on a part on a popular auction site some time back. I set a reasonable limit that I would go to. I had the bid until the very last. It went past my high limit. In a VERY short time (too soon for the "winner" of the bid to have responded that he didn't want it) I received a note from the seller that the fellow that HAD the winning bid didn't want it. If I wanted it for my high bid I could have it. Right...that "other bidder" was the seller who had another account set up to scam buyers. There are too many honest sellers out there to warrant putting up with a jerk like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

The doc fee is one great big scam here in TN. All you need is a title signed over and go to the county office to apply for plates and new title. I think the dealers are scamming something like $200 as a doc fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

A young guy was fed up with the car dealer scams and started www.carbuyingtips.com Over the years, his site grew and disgruntled car salesman contributed their stories of tricks of the trade. It was a good read and still exists but is now a commercial site with LOTS of ads so don't know if it is still a good educational read. I used to love the dealer quotes with animated Bull with raised tail doing it's thing as you read the dealer mandatory policy quote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

Tell everyone who it is.
Part of the power of the group is the knowledge of who scam artists are.

People of our generation require integrity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Go to the different web sites for MTFCA clubs and look for cars there. Then at least you know you will be getting a car or truck from someone that has been into Model t's for more than just money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Alvord on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

Fred, its a long list!

All: It's unfortunate that people feel the need to extract another few bucks out of you by any means that can... too bad they're out there with some darn nice cars!

I'll find one, just keep plugging away until I do. Craigslist has been a hoot lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

Jason, I think that I sent you info on the 26 touring that I have for sale a while back, if not let me know and I will send you the info on it. Thanks, Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 02:54 am:

I get the same from 'buyers'. From the way they act you'd think they wanted me to pay them to take it to the crusher. I'd like to harm them but the people with blue clothes who put shiny bracelets of people don't really approve of that for some reason.
<fontface=sarcasm"&text> "Yes, yes i really really want ot listen to years of verbal abuse while giving you thousands of dollars to take my car i poured money in away and get nothing in return" </font>

(Message edited by kep610 on June 18, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

Jason,

There is a 27' Touring in Hesperia, California. Looks like a descent ride. Asking price is $7,500.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1926-ford-model/6610286642.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/874349.html?1529350668

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Spadafore on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

I recently had a seller experience something like the rest of these. After I got hit over Memorial Day weekend, I decided it was as good a time as any to start the full restoration on my Runabout. Part of that will be to put the correct turtle deck on the back. After talking to a few local guys, I was put in contact with a guy who was sure to have one. After some time, he finally called me. He splits his time between WV and AZ, and had been busy with a car show out west. I spent the first half hour of the call hearing about how awesome he is; about his collection of 300 cars; about how he and his BFF Jay Leno take long rides up the coast together in their cars. When the conversation finally came round to its actual purpose, I got a long-winded and not so correct list of changes to the turtle deck through its years of production. I told him the year range I was looking for and he said, "yeah, I'm looking at 8 of them right now. How much are you willing to pay for it?" I should have ended the call then, but not knowing what he wanted for it, I gave him a range of prices that I'd seen others go for in the classifieds. He pretty much told me his were way too nice to go for that amount. After that, he pretty much refused to give me an asking price and that I couldn't afford it anyway. Now, I may not be the best negotiator, but I know enough to not tell someone how much money is in my wallet at negotiation. I guess that's how the hot rod crowd deals. No thank you. Three weeks later, and I'm (obviously) still fuming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:51 am:

I refuse to pay that documentation fee for ANY car from any dealer. They give you BS about it not being optional. I just tell them right at the beginning of the negotiation that the only number I am looking at is the one at the bottom. On a $10,000 car, they can call it $1000 for the car and $9000 for documentation for all I care. All that matters to me is the number that goes on the check. I've held out more than once until they removed the equivalent amount of their fee from the base price of the car. They'll always cave if you're willing to walk out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:07 am:

There is a local guy that sells mostly Ford parts for 40's and up.
When I got my 47 Pontiac I started looking for fender skirts. I had went by his place looking for a ford hub cap or something and we were talking. I told him what else I was looking for he said,"oh yea I know a fellow that has some". I got my pen out and was going to write down a phone number and he wanted me to pay him to tell me where they were!,he had saw them at Hershey 4 months before and I was supposed to pay him for the info that may lead to nothing?
Ug,not hardly.
The last used truck I bought in december.the dealer came out and started babbling numbers. I told him what I pay cash after trade and if he wanted to sell the truck let me know. I have the truck.Sometimes the seller has to be reminded,without a buyer, he aint a seller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Alvord on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:44 am:

Well I ran into a nice seller selling an old chevy their father had owned before recently passing. Seller is friendly and wants to sell so I struck a deal... fingers crossed it works out!

Bummed a T didn't work out but I've learned to expect the unexpected... I am looking forward to returning to the VCCA though.

Many thanks to all who helped out, I really appreciate it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Jason !!! NOOOO !!! You've gone to the dark side !! (Just kidding). ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:18 am:

What year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Alvord on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

'29 National... well kept older restoration. I had a '36 Standard for awhile so I'm comfy with the mechanicals of the early stovebolts.

Rich, I was thinking that too, lol. I'm still a Fordy... got a falcon in the stable yet. Maybe some day down the road i'll pick up a T, they look like a lot of fun!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration