CA to VA by T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: CA to VA by T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Hi All,
My brother and I, along with our 82 year old Dad, and my brother’s 2 boys(11 and 14) are departing Bakersfield California on 6/20 to drive back to Virginia.
We are taking my 1910 and my brother’s 1911.
We started a blog and thought you might be interested.

https://ca2vabyt.com

Feel free to follow along and cheer (or jeer).
Wish us luck!
Jon Rising
Ocala, Fl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

Jon

PM sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

Hi Jon,

Is your dad Don from Stow, Mass? Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

I signed up with you..and envious of your epic venture. The young’uns will remember this forever. Call if I can help ( or come along ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

I'm in !!! Looks like a fun trip for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Thanks for the comments.
Non-antique drivers think we’re crazy.
Everyone else wants to go!
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:37 am:

very cool, best of luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 01:02 am:

Looks like real fun. The boys will remember the experience forever. :-)

Are you planning to go thru Richmond during the MTFCA tour?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 05:34 am:

I’ll follow along too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 07:12 am:

Hi Tony,
If the schedule works out, we’ll try for Richmond.
It’s on our list.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 07:51 am:

Jon,

I am leaving Kingman, AZ shortly for Barstow & then
I am dropping off in Carpenteria tomorrow.

I would like to meet you guys - give me a call when you
get a chance .....

FJ
260-804-6695

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 08:40 am:

Jon,

I am leaving Kingman, AZ shortly for Barstow & then
I am dropping off in Carpenteria tomorrow.

I would like to meet you guys - give me a call when you
get a chance .....

FJ
260-804-6695

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:12 am:

Google Maps can be helpful, but it has some deficiencies and pitfalls.

Its worst problem is in naming features and roads. Example: The road I'm on is labeled 347 on the map, but all the road signs say Road G.

Street view isn't everywhere. In small towns it may show only the main street, or show less than half of the town.

This is less of a consideration when you're avoiding main roads, but it gives no warning of toll roads.

I find the county maps on many state DOT websites very helpful. This is hit and miss. Some states have good maps, and some have no clue. Interestingly, some of the states with high levels of tourism are the most clueless. Kansas, South Dakota, and Montana have good county maps. Colorado, Wyoming, and Michigan fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

Jon, can you let us know an approximate route? There are many ways to get to VA from CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Stopping by the MTFCA Museum in Richmond, IN is not an option -- it is a MUST! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 11:14 pm:

Bakersfield, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Badlands, then mostly due east to Lake Michigan. Either a ferry across or duck around Chicago(and I mean DUCK!). Then Michigan, Richmond, and on east.
Quite a bit of “make it up as we go”.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan cone on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:11 am:

What part of Virginia will you be passing through? I'm near Winchester area and would love to meet you. Maybe I can convince my father to wake up one of his cars, and a few of the club members to tag along for a few miles. Maybe get you a tour of the facility my father works at restoring vintage aircraft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:39 am:

You have two choices to take ferries across Lake Michigan.
The S. S. Badger steamship runs from Manitowoc, Wisconsin to Ludington, Michigan. The Lake Express runs from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Muskegon, Michigan. Be sure to get reservations. If you are taking the ferry from Milwaukee, do not miss the Harley Davidson Museum. It is only a mile or so from the ferry dock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:06 am:

Between Yellowstone and Rushmore is the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, a national treasure. It's a must-see. In the Rushmore area, Custer State Park and wind Cave National Park are worthwhile.

Seen at Wind Cave:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 06:48 am:

How cool is this.

I'll be following your blog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:26 am:

Sounds like a very fun trip.Looks like I will be some where near your path being straight east of the Badlands. I'm sure you will keep us all posted where you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard Farmland, NJ on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

Love it, good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim kelly on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

Have a great trip. I will be watching your blog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

Would love to try and join you for part of your trip through Wisconsin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

update?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 01:35 am:

Click on the link in the first post and go to that web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 06:51 am:

Hi All,
Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes.
Been a little busy with maintenance but will be back on the road today.
Updates on the blog will be forthcoming.
Thanks again,
Jon
https://ca2vabyt.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration