1925-1927 Jacks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1925-1927 Jacks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:06 am:

The photos in the parts books all show the new ratchet style jack, but how do we determine what jack Ford actually used? They show up at swap meets often, but what one is actually correct? When I did my initial study several years ago, I used a simple ratio and proportion problem, and pretty much determined that they were the same down height as the old screw jacks. But is this true? Who knows? Many say the flip top jack used for the Model A is correct, but I have yet to find evidence Ford used this jack for Model T's.
The main question is the size of the tires. If you use a 10 inch jack with a 21" tire, and it is flat, you are going to have to dig a hole to get the jack under the front axle. The rear axle works.
So perhaps they used a shorter jack, maybe a 9 1/2 or maybe a 9"? And, did they all have the hole for the handle? I've documented two manufactures. Walker, and Ajax. There could be more?
Questions never cease in this hobby. That is what makes it interesting.
Lastly, did Ford photograph all the tools on the page that shows tools at the same time? If so, my ratio and proportion problem works, but if not, well, then I give up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:23 am:

Fortunately the screw jack is correct for my cars, and that's what I carry. It works well, and has the advantage of an attached handle that won't get lost. I gather it's more durable than the later jacks, as it's much more plentiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

I picked up a ratchet style jack at Chickasha 2 years ago. Plenty of jacks but no handles to be found that time. Still watching for one . I've seen the handles with the dogleg bend and hex hole for lug nuts and wonder what the used for wire wheels. I'm guessing here that they would be for wood wheels and can't see how they would fit between the wire spokes.
I'd like to see a pic of a correct jack handle for '26/'27 wire wheels. And what was used for the lug nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

For the later '26-'27 the flip top pressed steel ratchet jack has a long handle, with bend.

I carry mine with a rivet pin to lock the long handle to the jack for sliding it in place. The handle is 7/8" wide x 16" long with hole in one end to mate to jack.

The lug wrench for the wire wheel nuts is a 'T' handled one, part # 5-Z-161.

(note the jack in price list is correct for late '24 and 1925 pressed steel type ratchet style, it was revised Aug 1925 to the flip style ratchet jack for the Improved Cars.)

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on June 18, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

There were actually two different "T-shaped" lug wrenches for the 1926-27 wire wheels.
The first one was 5-Z-161, which was another use for an existing wrench that was specified for the body bracket nuts.
Later, #2891 came out, and is marked T-2839, which is the factory number. It's shaft is about 2 inches shorter and fits under the seat better.
See Bruce's big black book, pages 594 and 599.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

I'm all for it, but there is no mention in the Ford parts books that I have of the flip top jack.
Just to be on the safe side, I do have a flip top, with the Walker brass nameplate. Where is the documentation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:11 pm:

I have seen the ford drawing of the flip top jack at the benson ford research center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

Ok, next question. What was the purpose of the flip top ?? Was one axle higher than the other ??? And at what point was the "FlipTop" adapted. My car is early '27 (Oct. '26) The jack I have now is not the flipTop variety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

The flip top could be used on the 1909-25 Ts as well as the lower 1926-27 Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

This photo comes from the MAFCA website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:54 pm:

Interesting topic as the many different ratchet jacks can make it confusing .
George, I believe your pictured jack is an Ajax '1928-'29 Model A ; there were 2 different versions, an 8.5"+9.5" tall which went into early '30 for the shorter one.
Is the handle on Dans '26-'27 flip top original??'
All the handles had a hole but at the end closest to the dog leg bend so as not to bottom out eg. as per parts list pictured.' Cheers Wayne in NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:29 am:

Jeff, what does the drawing at the Benson say? More specifically what years does it specify? The 25-27 parts books show no flip top jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

Larry,
I did not make a copy of the drawing and as i cannot remember the date or applicability data i will not venture a guess. If i remember right the flip top jack had the same part number as the non flip top jack, just a later revision date. I make a day of it at the research center and look at a lot of drawings, cost and time constraints preclude printing every one i want to see. The jack handle was my real interest...thought i made a print of that but cannot find it in my pile of drawings. Will try to make a copy of both the next time i go.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration