1912 touring parts found at the swap meet this weekend ?????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1912 touring parts found at the swap meet this weekend ?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Bibbens on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:37 am:

Need a little help verifying year
I got theses body parts and door marked 1912 touring at the riverside swap meet this weekend but there was some different ideas about dates from other swap meet aficionados have the other side but picture does not want to post
Thanks Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Never owned a brass car but wasn't 12 the last year for removable fore doors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:55 am:

I find those two big step bolts interesting. Haven't ever seen them before. Pretty good find. There are a lot of '12s out there that need doors, because they have been incorrectly removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

Good find. Yes that is 1912. Look for numbers stamped into the wood and let us know what you find. Should be a letter and then number somewhere that will tell who made the doors and what body they fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

There were aftermarket doors also. I think they were for the earlier cars and by 1912 Ford made their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Major 1912 discussion here:

1912 discussion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

Look on the underside for a letter and number stamping. About 1/2" high digets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

One needs to remember that there were several variations on these doors. Early early, later early, mid year, and later bodies used slightly different front doors and panels. Doors did also vary by body supplier. I don't know the '12 well enough to tell if these are later early panels? Or mid year or more likely later versions. I can tell they are not the early early version. The earlier ones had a "drop down across the top to line up with the earliest '12 firewalls which were two-piece with a removable firewall piece under the windshield. This detail also makes it unlikely for them to be after-market ones. Not all, but most after-market front doors for 1911 or earlier model Ts also had a shape to fit the lower firewall. There was very little need in those days for after-market doors for the majority of '12 Ts because they were all sold standard with the removable doors and therefore already had them.
It also needs to be remembered, that the possibility exists that such fore-doors might not be for a Ford. There were many other cars, larger and small, during the 1908 through 1912 years that also had removable fore-doors. And there were aftermarket doors made for almost any car that had no front doors before those years.

Checking the serial number code will help narrow down what these may fit. But only trying them in a body can determine for certain whether they will work in a given body or not without modification. I have heard of several people that tried to fit a set of doors, then found it was easier to make a new set from scratch.
Still, these are an incredible catch! Congratulations! If I got a set of doors like that? I would probably try to assemble a car around them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

Jon Iím looking for a pair of doors for a 12, please contact me if your interested in parting with them. I tried to send you an email from the profile link but it didnít go through, it maybe a bad address. Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

There were several body makers and at least 4 versions. Agree you will not know if they are the exact fit without a template. Agree they sure look like the doors on my car, a very very early 12 with a Wilson body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:41 am:

Interesting about your doors. They were at the Monroe Wa swap meet in May for $200.00 for the pair. I was going back to purchase them and just plain forgot. The same guy had a 30x3 and 1/2 Budd wire wheel and front hub that I also wanted to buy. DAMN OLD AGE.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:14 am:

BCG, As I recall, you have a nice unrestored '12 touring in your collection? Is it missing the foredoors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Bibbens on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 08:54 am:

Hi
Went home last night to find the #
while the doors are in good shape the number is not readable
I do not have a 1912 and might be convinced to sell
thanks to all for the information given, not just on the doors. getting a lot of good information from a lot of the other members posts and go back to the shop to uncover treasures that I did not know I had

Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Anyone have a pair of the top brackets that connect to the doors to the firewall as in one of the above pics? I need a set for my early 13 runabout. 13s used the same bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Hi Jon... I just sent you a private message regarding these doors.. I've a 12 touring that needs doors. Maybe we can make a deal!

Here is my late friend Merle Haggard in the 12 where the doors would go..

Michael1912

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration