Spare wheel on back of 26 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spare wheel on back of 26 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin LaGrow on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

I saw this car on the forum once and I really like the spare wood wheel mounted on the back. Is this simple to do? Is there a specific bracket for this available or would I have to make modifications to my current spare carrier that currently just holds a tire and rim?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2 F253688890144

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 03:53 pm:

Never seen that on a demountable. Wonder if they attached a front or rear wheel? And why would you? Just get five 21 wires...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

Personally, I like 'the look'! With an upholstered cover surround to match the interior, it would be an appealing and classic 'finishing touch'. Yes, I am not of the "preservationist-purist" cult.

It's Summertime - Enjoy a 'Sweet-T with your Sweetie!' :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Merrick on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Looks to me like it was done by someone who didn't realize that the rims were demountable so all they needed was an extra rim for a spare, not a rim and wheel, thus avoiding the front/rear question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

I think the idea is the wheel holds the spare rim/tire, not that the wheel would be used as a spare, front and back wheels being different. However, the extra weight on the spare tire bracket would require beefing up the inner trunk structure. The spare tire bracket itself could easily be made by welding a front axle spindle to the existing wire wheel spare tire bracket. The wire wheel bracket comes by removing the "Y" rim bracket from the spare tire bracket. That being said, I think it just looks wrong and advise against doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin LaGrow on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

I appreciate the input from everyone. I'll take the advice and stay away from doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Interesting to see 23" clinchers on a 26-7 model. We do see the odd one in Australia.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

If you have an extra wheel and you like the look, then why not. You will need to make an adapter plate to adapt the six bolts on the wheel to the three bolts on the 26/27 spare tire bracket. It should work fine with the 26/27 wood wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Johnson on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:41 am:

I recently acquired a rear rear spare carrier which had a "factory" unit for a spare wood tire rim bolted to the three stud mounting plate for wire wheels. To convert from rim carrier to spare rim carrier simply required unbolting the Y rim carrier from the wire wheel plate with the proper three studs for mounting the wire wheel. Seems the same as described by Jeff Humble in this thread.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration