Visit to the Museum and to Greenfield Village

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Visit to the Museum and to Greenfield Village
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Just got back from vacation, took a journey through time. First stop was the MTFCA museum in Richmond IN. The museum stop was awesome, Justin was manning the helm. He provided knowledge, fun, excitement and stories. He let us into the workshop across the street to see all the T's over there. It is truly a great place to stop. We then ventured around downtown Richmond to see all the murals, the depot and the furniture store with all it's history. Richmond is a great way to spend a lazy vacation (although we did walk a lot).

From there we went to the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. Although I own a T and drove it a lot last year, I still waited in line for 45 minutes to get a ride in one. I wanted to watch the footwork of a professional. As the ride started Glen (the driver) started his history schpeel and talking about how the car doesn't have a gas pedal. I stopped him and told him I owned one and why I was on the ride. He laughed and said I got in the wrong car, then went on to give me some great pointers. As the ride was winding down, he asked what I was doing the next day. I told him we had tickets to the Henry Ford. He said he was going to work on something for me and said he would call me later. I gave him my number, we shook hands and off to the hotel I went.

At about 9:30 that night I get a phone call from him telling me that he talked to the mechanics in the shop that maintain the Model T's for Ford and they were willing to talk to me for about an hour the next day. The shop is inside the Village and I didn't have tickets for another day, but Glen said he would work something out. I was ready to pay for tickets if it gave me the chance to talk to those guys.

The next day, Glen met us inside the Museum and walked us through security to get into the backside of the Village and into the mechanics shop. Inside Bruce and Gordy were there, patiently waiting. As soon as we started talking, you could tell they were as excited as I was. They showed me some things, gave me lots of tips and helped me with some checklist items since I drive my car so much. I was able to spend an hour and a half with them, and Glen stayed with us the whole time. The whole trip was unforgettable, that fact that everyone we met was so nice and cordial and went above and beyond made it even more so.

I will try to get some pictures up later once I resize them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

John, I'm glad to hear about your visit. I'm sure you'll remember that one for a long time! Please consider visiting the Village during the Old Car Festival in September. There's nothing like it in the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

John
Next trip you must plan at afternoon at Piquette, home of the T.

Lots of great car stuff in the area.

Stahls
Detroit Institute of Art
Elanor Ford Mansion
Meadowbrook Hall
Detroit Historic Museum
Gilmore
and many more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:31 am:

Made the same trip 5 years ago. Barbara and Jay took me to lunch in Richmond. Drove the rental car to Dayton and turned left. Spent 3 nights at the Dearborn Inn. First went to Piquette. Spent 7 hourís at this incredible place. Next day THF. Did a lot of walking. Third day - Greenfield Village. Sat on a bench across from the T rides and timed several cars. 8 minutes for $5 - pretty good. Then I saw a girl docent/driver repeatedly started her repop Ď14 touring ( all have electric starters ) with greatly advanced spark. Between riders and alone I attempted to inform her about potential starter Bendix and armature damage. She just rolled her eyes. I tremendously enjoyed all 3 days..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration