Magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles oakland on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

If a car is not driven with any amount of regularity does the magneto discharge? Or could I expect it to function the auto regardless of drive times and frequency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

It shouldn't discharge from sitting regardless of the length of time.

I have an unrestored 1917 roadster and the mag works fine. I'm pretty sure the only time the magnets were charged was when it was assembled in 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

Driving the car will not charge or discharge the magneto. Only time will cause it to discharge, but it will take years to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:26 am:

There's one exception:

If through fiddling around or because of a faulty ignition switch, positive juice is fed to the magneto terminal, it can almost instantly discharge the magnets.

But then, they can be re-charged by doing the same in reverse. Instructions can be found on this Forum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration