1912 Touring parts tossed in the dumpster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1912 Touring parts tossed in the dumpster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 11:18 pm:

I just found out the guy I bought the 12 Touring from last summer got kicked out of the house and the family took everything to an auction and it was sold but the top and other parts that were missing from my car were tossed in the dumpster at the house. I don't know how long ago this happened but I have had the car only since July and told him to call me when they decided to have the sale so I could look for and buy any parts they dig up. I drove to the house right away this morning as soon as I found this out and the place was empty with only a broom and dust pan on the floor in the building my parts would have been in and the dumpsters were all gone. I even called the auctioneer and he said the sale was 3 weeks ago and he saw the top and brass radiator laying on the ground for 2 days and then it was tossed because he didn't want to mess with it.

106 years and it ends like this. I am so glad I was able to at least save the car from these people, they might have scrapped it because it didn't run. If they only knew or cared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:43 am:

It sickens me almost every day I see so many people that have NO appreciation for ANYTHING other than what they personally have or want. They value money, but don't even care about things that may be worth money. They cannot understand the difference between a work of art by one of the great masters, and a ten year old concert poster.
Every day, things of real value are melted down for a couple dollars worth of scrap metal. All we can do is save what we can. Preserve the history available to us. And try to educate others as we go.
I have quite a few things I worry what will happen to them if something happens to me. The "cockroaches" are everywhere.

I am glad you were able to save most of the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:24 am:

People are stupid and are examples of why I don't believe in treating modern 'mankind' like it was an actual human. Because it doesn't act like one.
They call them 'homosapian' but I thought sapian meant wise. Modern man needs a new name, homoexartómenostelephone perhaps.(Note, my ancient greek is almost non-existent and this is not a correct translation).
Just today i was thinking about a swapmeet where a guy wouldn't give me a price for something until he knew how much money I had, then wanted $600 more. Then smashed the item before me saying "Oh you don't want it". So intelligent.... not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:40 am:

Here is one for you. I bought a 1911 Cadillac Model 30 touring car from an east coast broker several years ago who had found it in the Denver area. After doing some sleuthing, I found that it was an estate car formerly owned by Mac McKelvey. I was told along the way that Mac had built an outstanding library of brass car materials, but that when the cars all sold it had all been thrown out. I tried reaching out to the nephew who apparently took care of the estate to verify this, but could not get a response. All that history, valuable information, and a life of collecting down the tube. Made me want to go dump mining in Denver. Ugh. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:16 am:

What a shame! I feel so blessed that my grandpa is around and was willing to teach me about this old stuff. I am now passing that on to my kids. This is all the more reason to teach your kids and grandkids the value (not only $$ but historic value) of our precious old iron!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:22 am:

Any auctioneer worth a pound of salt would have done a little research on the items that the family was selling so he could be sure to get them a fair market value. If he was too busy then an apprentice could have been given the task. They could have contacted someone who knew about cars for guidance. I blame a lazy auctioneer and a spiteful family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:45 am:

My question is if you bought the car,why did you not get all of it?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:24 am:

No body threw a big piece of brass in the bin,that got hauled away for beer money.The top,maby.check the local scrap yard.That radiator may be hanging up on the wall. A local yard had a Model N radiator on the wall for years until I told them they should post it on ebay since the local guy that owned a N never would go by there and get it for a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:39 am:

Bob that's to bad about the pitched out T parts.
This happens from one generation to the next I'm afraid.

I can only imagine what has gone through our local junk yards and sold for scrap.

About 15 years ago a local junk man and collector passed away. Over the years he had accumulated old cars parts and pieces, old farm machinery and a lot of etc.
He had T bodies, and cars in the 40- thru late 50's.

When he died the son-in-law hired a crusher and dozer to clean the place up. The place was about a mile from my house and I cringed hearing the dozer and crusher doing their work. The place is a pasture full of brush now,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:42 am:

When the inventory of a long time antique auto parts house in the DFW area was sold a few years back, the new owners came in removed the choice items and threw literally tens of thousands of small NOS parts in original boxes, (ignition points, bearings, fasteners, gauges, etc) for cars dating back to the 1930's into multiple large dumpsters.

By the time I got wind of it, the dumpster guys had hauled them off.

I know of a couple guys who did make it there beforehand and were able to salvage a couple pickup truck loads, but the majority of it was lost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:51 am:

I really sickens me to think how many parts are thrown away! I wont even throw a screw away unless it is headless. I look at my parts and wonder what will happen to them when I am gone unless I have the brains to sell them ahead of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

Years ago I wintnessed an old timer who passed away, his smaller property was full to the brim with cars and parts. Pre 20s Dodge brothers, Cadillac’s, Model Ts, scooters, etc. He died without an heir, and the state bulldozed everything into one giant pile and hauled it away. They then auctioned off the bare lot which is now condos. The sight of the pile of mangled cars, buildings, etc was heart wrenching. They wouldn’t even consider selling any of the stuff. He even had a small family plot ,and they bulldozed the headstones too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

This is another reason why I'm against guys having these massive parts hoards.

Once you get up into your 70's and 80's, you should have at least a vague idea of which projects you're going to get to and which you probably aren't.

If you're sitting on 80 NOS Hyatt bearings for instance, for pete's sake, sell some of them to us "young" guys. If you don't there's a chance it'll end up the a dumpster. It happens all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

About 7 years ago, I got wind of a massive parts stash that was being sold off...anything left was going in the dumpster or to the metal recycler per the order of the deceased guy's daughters.

I drove 4 hours with a box truck and bought over a thousand NOS repair panels for cars from the 1940's through late 1950's. I paid less than a dollar per panel.

Over the next couple years, I sold them (way too cheaply) on eBay and through word of mouth....just to get them out into the hands of car guys. A few hundred of them went to a guy in Florida who I suspect found a way to get them into Cuba.

The daughters were literally one day away from having the scrap man come get these beautiful old panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Spadafore on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

I remember seeing a thread on here about a year ago where a guy's father had passed and left him with a hoard of parts to deal with. He was very adamant that he wasn't going to entertain the idea of piecing it out. It was either buy the lot at some ridiculous price or it was going for scrap. He probably could have doubled his asking price, or more, if he'd have been willing to deal in pieces or small lots. I wonder whatever happened with that collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

When my wife and I went to look at this car the son of the past owner was who we dealt with. He was high and drinking a beer and flirting with my wife and had no idea what the car was. He thought it was a 1925 or 26 his Dad bought and never drove and about 7 or 8 years ago he died but the car was still there. It was inside a lean-to with a door built onto a small pole barn. I saw hit and miss engines behind the car and "stuff" everywhere. I didn't even know what year the car was till after we made the deal but knew it was older than 26. I was able to see the front and had a path to walk down the drivers side but had to open the rear door and go through the car to get to the other side and stand on the running board to see that side. He would not let me go into any other building to look for parts and he told me to come back in 2 weeks with cash to give him time to move the junk so he could drag the car out. I called him to see if he was ready and my phone number had been blocked so my wife said to just show up with a six pack and cash and see what happens. When we got there he was sitting in the garage drinking beer so we sat down and gave him the peace offering knowing he had not moved any of the junk yet. We offered to help move it for him but he would not let us do that. We left that day without the car and did not know if we would ever get it at that point.

A few weeks later I was able to get through by blocking my number and left him a message and he called me back! He said he had moved some of the "stuff" and thought we could get the car past the rest and wanted me to come the next day with cash and a trailer. My wife felt uneasy since he was making passes at her the last time we saw him so she stayed home and I went after it. I looked as much as I could for the top but it was not in the area where the car was and he still would not let me look for it so I told him to let me know when the estate auction was so I could buy some of this stuff.

My wife also works with his sister and we told her to let us know also since she was the one that told us about the T in the first place. Turns out the other brothers and sisters came together and kicked this guy out of the house and had a worthless auctioneer take some stuff for an auction he did not advertise very well and they had 5 dumpsters at the house and by the time we found out it was all over. If anyone had told us anything this stuff would not have been hauled off to the dump and they would have made money instead of paying to have it hauled away.

The whole time I was at this place I was waiting for drug enforcement to raid the house so I was not going to hang out with this guy or call him just to say hi so we had no other way to deal with him. It is a real shame the stuff that was lost but I do feel lucky to save what I did.
I know it had a black radiator on it and was told the brass was found and might have made the auction or could have gone to scrap but the local scrap yard will not sell anything so its gone. It is possible the original 1912 engine was in the stuff because the 26 engine has not been in this car long. Someone had to cut the floor out to fit the pedals and the wood and saw dust was still on the floor of the car they cut out. I do not now if any of the brass lights were found or if he 12 rivet clamshell might have been there or was gone when he got the car. Even the body tag was removed but I did get it from him a few weeks after we got the car.

If you want your car to go to a good home when you are gone, sell it before you die! I plan to keep mine as long as possible but when we can no longer enjoy them its time to let them go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 01:50 pm:

There are members of this forum that scrap parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

There is another side of the story - I have a pile of automobile owner's manuals and (had) about an equal amount of new car advertising brochures as were given out in dealer showrooms; mostly '40s and '50s literature. I put together packages of the stuff that I tried to sell on E-Bay for $10 per package. Not one single bid or inquiry! I finally put the advertising stuff in the recycle bin before we made the move from MA to FL. I still have the manuals, but they are living on thin ice - I'm hurting for storage space and these are on the short list of stuff that will be "recycled". I have taken care of the stuff for more then 30 years and I'll be damned if I'll give it away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

In their defense I can't tell the difference between the great masters and a 5 year-old's finger paintings.

The contents of my Grandfather's three garages would be in the dumpster if not for me. My Grandmother told him for years she had no idea what to do with it and that it was all going in the dumpster if he didn't arrange something. He never did and she was fully prepared to pay some guys to put it all in dumpsters. I told her to let me see what I could do with them. It was a lot of work but I was able to sell a bunch and get quite a bit of money for her. The last one still isn't finished 6 years later. I don't blame her or the rest of the family. It's not up to them to deal with my place/stuff after I pass. I fully expect my stuff to go in a dumpster if I don't arrange something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

So you'd rather throw it away than give it away John??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

I have to say I've sold for scrap some mangled and badly rusted fenders BUT I saved all the fender brackets. Nobody makes the fender brackets for most T fenders for the black era cars. I've even saved some good transmission drums that still have good gears on them. Some folks throw the whole drum away but that's their choice. I do think I have 3 or 4 usable fenders that I saved but the others were just to far gone. I guess I have saved about 80% of the parts that were still usable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Jim Spadafore, I may have been that guy that was selling huge lots. I'm not really sure. I'm sure many others have been in the same situation. I was able to sell nearly all of it. Sure it went for pennies on the dollar but at least some car guys got it. Some I also gave away. Keeping it from being scrapped was my biggest concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Mankind will never ever get anywhere because they throw away books too. Mostly my books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 03:49 pm:

Also, hoarders died & all the stuff they had went with them.
R.I.P. those cars & trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTS43pdEisc&t=23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxvHEKS910&t=48s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

I side with John C.- I got talked into having a rummage sale about a decade ago.
I had lotsa car magazines dating back to the early '50s stuff like Rod & Custom and Honk! in the Readers Digest size, all for 10 ten cents apiece.
I made a few bucks, mostly from bored guys who were being dragged to sales by their wives.

Then came this big-shot dude who started telling me he had a super-rare early Camaro in a silvery blue colour that he had about 40K into and it was about half way finished.
What he was looking for was a certain fold-out ad that Chevrolet put out in the car magazines in 1968 or '69 that had an image of his car- same colour, same stripe, exactly like his.

I said, Well, there are a few boxes from that era, have a gander!"

After about 20 minutes he found three of the ads, two just like his, but the third was red.

"Fantastic!"" he said, I can show this to my painter to show him just how the stripes go. He's charging me 5k to paint it, but he's the best--- blah, blah."

I said "Cool." I said "Glad you found some. That'll be 30 cents."

With that he looked long and hard at the magazine with the red car in it and slowly laid it down.
"I guess I'll just take these then"

"OK, you owe me 20 cent then." I said

Then this "High Roller", this no-expense-spared-in-restoring-my-car idiot says:

"Well, how much for just the ads?"

I closed up shop as soon as he left.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

Well now I feel bad about tossing the three bladed fan and the high performance extra ventilated muffler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

Guess I don’t understand the logic of throwing something away with the justification of having “taken care of it for 30 years” and being “damned if I’ll give it away.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Dale and John....old literature is a hit and miss thing.

I consider that to be different than car parts.

Still...I'd give it away before throwing it away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Dale W. when the high roller asked "how much for just the ads" that is when you say one dollar each and have some fun.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration