Sleeping dog and no coil buzz

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Sleeping dog and no coil buzz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:06 am:

I've been reluctant to ask this question but my coils no longer buzz when switched on. When I step on the starter or turn the crank handle the car cranks every time and runs sweet. When I first got the car the coils always buzzed and you could turn the crank handle and step through them. That was many, many repairs ago.

Question: Is something out of adjustment or should I let this dog sleep and just drive and enjoy?

I should say I hear them buzz when running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:14 am:

If the car runs "sweet," then everything is fine. Stock ignition will only buzz when the switch is on BATT and the timer brush or roller is on a contact. You will not get a buzz if the switch is on MAG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:30 am:

"...the car cranks every time and runs sweet."

At the risk of overusing a Model T cliché, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:42 am:

A coil will only buzz with the ignition on if the engine previously stopped in such a position that the timer is making contact with one of the coils. Turn the key on and it will buzz away quite happily. If the timer was stopped between contacts then there will be no buzzing obviously. Your car is working just fine James!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:03 am:

First thing to check is your hearing! Have someone with known good hearing listen to your coils on battery. Or try listening to someone else's coils yourself and find out if you can hear them buzz. They must be buzzing if you start on battery and it runs. If you have determined that the problem is not in your hearing, I don't know what might be wrong.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Battery produces electricity that is "stored" and will cause coils to buzz and lamp filaments to glow.

A magneto only produces electricity when the magnets are spun between coils. And coils will buzz and lamp filaments will glow.

If in doubt about this, read the work of Page or even a Dyke's section on the Model T.

A copy of Page's work can be found here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=70mJeb_q19EC&printsec=frontcover&dq=model+t+fo rd+manual&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix96vageDbAhWFNn0KHfk9DEAQ6AEILTAB#v=onepage&q=m odel%20t%20ford%20manual&f=false

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration