Whats your plans for your collection of T's and parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Whats your plans for your collection of T's and parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

I feel very lucky and blessed, I have several friends that have T parts they sell me really cheap, or give to me, as their children are not interested at all.

I now have my children very interested in Model T's and should carry my love and addiction forward. I told them if for some reason they don't wish to continue, do the same with my collection, sell cheap to someone restoring or give away to someone in the need.

Someone that truly loves this hobby, should make arrangements to pass their stuff on, and avoid the scrapers and/or hot rod community. As you age and finally realize you cannot use everything you have accumulated. One last project, build what is possible, find someone in need and friend them. Your heart will be filled with Love and joy when you help some younger person restore a T and get it back on the road to fun and enjoyment again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:09 pm:

Excellent post Joe.

Iím 49 and am a serial donator of old car parts. Iíve also received parts cheap or outright free from others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Well put Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

Joe, I feel the same way. I have been very blessed with people helping me out thru the years. Some have sold parts to me at cheap prices, and others have gave me stuff. I have always been a firm believer of "pass it on" when you can. I try and help the "young gun" as much as I can. I also have started giving a lot away instead of selling. My kids like the old cars but are not really "Model T people" They will never crush any of my parts. I still have hopes for a couple of the grandkids :-) :-) They are just now old enough to show some interest in the Model Ts... Some of my stuff will be sold, and the remainder given away to someone who shows them a real interest in the Model T parts. The farms are already into living trusts, as well as two of the cars. I only have two kids, and I do not even remotely think there will be any kind of a squabble.

I figure that my wife will outlive me. So she is the one who will have to deal with what I still have at that time. There is no "best way" to handle a big pile of stuff. But she knows the basics of dealing with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Iím a young 79 and thinned the collection a little, gone from six Model Ts to four. The 09 Touring was intended to keep me busy and it has succeeded beyond what I expected. Itís still moving along but I now remember why I donít like body work.
As for parts, I attend several swap meets each year and sell such that now I donít have enough parts to build a car, so I guess itís working. The other day I needed some manifold clamps and I only had two. Had to rush over to a (younger) friend who gave me a couple. So I know the parts collection is going down and to local members who need them they are essentially free.
So when the time comes, my daughter will not have an insurmountable task on her hands, though I know it will be tough. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

I, too, would not survive in this hobby without the help of friends. I am NOT a mechanic, by any means. I am more of an historian. Without the generous help from friends who are engineers, etc., and others who know so much more about cars, I would be lost. In particular, I must thank Jerry Van and Norm Bolz.

Frankly, I should have collected stamps. (I guess, either way, I would take a licking!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 01:12 am:

My wife and I recently did our updated estate planning.Let me say this was no quick and easy project, all in all it took some 6 months of effort on our part as well as the lawyers. We have real estate, our Subaru Service Center business , and our collections of brass era cars, plus our collections of loud and fast exotic sports cars.
Not to mention early car parts, lamps, collectables, and a complete automotive restoration shop and machine tools.

We pondered what to do with it all. Sadly the majority of our car friends are our age and who know which of us will be leaving this earth first. With the help of our excellent estate planning lawyer, We decided to put everything into a living legal trust. All cars and related parts our business, real estate, our machine shop. Instructions are in place to notify at the appropriate time who gets what if they so desire. If they are not interested, it will be sold at auction with the proceeds going to the charities we have thoughtfully chosen.

My wife and I spent a lot of time placing certain cars and things to those we thought would enjoy them, most to younger families. Now that we have finished this we are both at peace with our selections and down the road others will be able to enjoy pieces of what we have collected over the last 50 years.

There are special people that we have picked for the model t parts, the brass era parts, the signs and collectibles. Others are inline for the machine shop tools and equipment. Because nothing is permanent rather that to leave the disposition to 1 person we have a pecking order of trusted and special people to handle this. They will be paid whether it be the lawyer, or the others we have chosen.

When we started this process, we ha just figured our daughter would be the logical person, then the lawyer said and if something happens to her then who? Seemed there were more questions than answers. My advice is to get qualified help and direction to save the relatives squabbling over who gets what and why. Take the relatives out of the equation from the get go.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 03:22 am:

Most of my parts I picked up because people would throw then away. Others I bought to go with the parts to make a whole car, I must have 3 more cars in parts by now. My plans aren't concrete (never are, I don't live in a world where plans were considered possible) But I hope to sell running cars and build up more from the parts left behind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 04:03 am:

At 51 years of age, I hope that itís a long time before my stuff becomes surplus. But, my wife and I are of the same mind, in that we will at some point, give the cars to good homes where they will be driven often. Iíd like to see my children remain interested enough that I can enjoy seeing them taking the cars on family joyrides and club tours. If my kids lose interest, the cars will go to a club member in need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Thanks Marty!

I have my father's stamp collection, if you do decide to change hobbies. Might simplify both our lives :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:12 am:

My attorney has been instructed to take a video of my cars and parts being crushed and melted down and post it on the forum everyday for a year! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:13 am:

Denny,

Before or after you die?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:43 am:

After I went to a couple of large sales where the husband died and the wife is one step away from the nursing home and no one gets to enjoy the money, that's when I told my wife that I was not going to do that to her. But you know that is dam hard to do. But I am trying. She keeps telling me to try harder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

I'm only a few years in to the addiction and have 1.6 Ts. My plan at this point is to build a second garage and fill it with parts until my .6 becomes a 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

I don't know! I told my wife when we got married it would be either cars or bars either way we would end up broke. For some reason she liked the idea of cars,(tells her friends that if I am not in the house she knows where I am) but she will not drive them. My son-in-law is mildly interested but is afraid to drive the T, but will drive the Corvair & Plymouth says he is afraid he will break something. I try to tell him if it breaks we will fix it... maybe soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

Why not do like the old tall tail and have your T buried with you? As the old farmer said it has never got me in a hole it could not dig it's way out of!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

Bud, that's going to take a pretty big hole for some of these T guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 07:09 pm:

Dean,If the hot air were let out of me i would take up less space! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 08:30 pm:

Jerry, no thanks.

Thankfully, my wife and kids LOVE the antique cars. All of them are spoken for with each kid having a favorite car. All the parts I have accumulated for each car will go with that car.

Same goes for the vintage phonographs, radios and microphones I've collected. They all have their favorites and all are spoken for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

As someone who has just recently inherited a T I offer this. Don't wait until the very end to find your T a good home (or any other antique car). The person who inherits it or it is gifted to while you are alive is likely to have a lot of questions about the car only you can answer. Much easier to get answers from someone who is still here, Seances are expensive; money better spent on car parts. Suggestion: Retitle the car in your name 'OR' the person you would like to have it after you're gone so it flows easier to the person to receive the car after your death or give it to them now. SHOW THEM HOW TO WORK ON IT and allow them hands on time if they are not familiar with the things every long time T guy already knows. If no one in your family is interested spend some time before you go to see that it goes to someone who will appreciate it for more than it's dollar value. Antique cars don't need an owner they need a good home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Well, it is vanadium steel mostly. And it is worth about $20.00 per pound, so that is where I am starting.

So, with a curb weight between 1,200Ė1,650 pounds, a complete car between $24,000 to $33,000. All other stuff open to discussion at $20.00 per pound. That is when I am ready to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

Howzabout "timeless art" as a means of "preserving" one's Model T for posterity ? There's a grand precedence for this - John Rewald, who was a world-reknowned art historian and authority on Impressionism commissioned the then-hot-stuff French sculptor Cesar Baldaccinii to do just that for his beloved yellow Buick (year and model unknown). Cesar (really great arteestes are known by only one name, dontcha know ?) created a timeless work of truth and beauty from that car back in 1961 which thrills and inspires folks to this day, as they appreciate the nuances of beauty and form of that ol' Buick in the NYC Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). Sorry I don't know how to link pitchurs here, look up "The Yellow Buick MOMA" and you'll be treated to an image of this spectacular work of fine art. (Sorry, visitors to the MOMA will have to wait a while to see it for really, it is currently not on display).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

I'm 55 and have 5 grand kids. If I live long enough, I should have five cars in running condition when I die so they can each have one. I'm not sure the girls want them, but my grandson is all cars, all the time. So at least a couple of them will be taken care of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 10:12 am:

I like to have enough spare parts handy, so as to be able to repair one of my cars without having to call Langs. I just gave a set of '14 hubcaps to a friend, cause he needed them. That is the way the hobby should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patterson - Medical Lake, WA on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

I used my old rusty non-rebuildable T parts to build up a 21 T cutaway view engine. It was a very fun, educational, and easy project that took several months to complete. Cutting cast iron was very easy and reasonable using a castiron cutting blade on a Saws-All reciprocating saw. See attached photo.
https://screenshots.firefox.com/TCiGBnSgIjoUNRaC/www.mtfca.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration