Brass Gas Tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Brass Gas Tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

I know a guy here in Alabama who is a ridiculously good welder. He was the Alabama high school state champion welder in 2017, and did so well at the national welding competition that he's going to the world welding championships in Russia this summer. I didn't even know those existed but hey, the young man has skills.

So! I got him to make me a brass gas tank, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. He will be happy to make more if anyone is interested. The sheet of brass was $400, and the labor was $360 ($60 an hour for 6 hours) for a total of $760. Best part was I got to completely customize the tank - he made it to the specs I wanted, so I now have a tank that fits in the space I have, but is 15 gallons and gas the cap mounted in the center (so I don't have gas slosh out on those hard corners). I also got him to cut 2 brass straps so that I could use them to hold the tank in place.

Also thought I'd do a fun post since this is post number 3,000! Will post more pics of the car in the sun tomorrow and even more once everything is cleaned and polished up. Happy to answer any questions, and will provide welder's contact info if you send me a message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

That is one beautiful tank. Good Luck at the World Welding Championship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 04:06 am:

Seth you better chain that tank to the car! That looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Complements your theme very nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Seth: How many baffles inside? Thanks, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Two baffles, so the tank is divide into 3 equal sections inside. You can customize that though and have as many as you wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

Wow....very pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 04:05 pm:

Outstanding work! Does he work in other materials, like copper & stainless? Best of luck to him in the competition! Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

William as much as T's are my hobby, welding is his. He does EVERYTHING. If he hasn't done it before he will figure it out and practice until it looks good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration