OT But Old Car Related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT But Old Car Related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:47 pm:

You guys always have the best answers, it's why I come here. Here's my latest problem My Maxwell needs to get two white squares with red crosses on my canvas top to look like a WWI Red Cross vehicle. Probably the originals were brush painted but don't know for sure, I'm guessing they hadn't invented fabric paint yet. The canvas is from eBay tarps made in China and have who know what in the way of dyes, waterproofing and such. I took scraps from the tarp conversion and washed them in a commercial Laundromat to soften the canvas as well as clean it for use on the seats and all kinds of dyes etc. came out and I'm sure I broke many EPA regulations. I'd like to be able to roll the sides up occasionally so if anybody has any idea what would stick to this and be able to flex too I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Howard DennisMaxwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

I would have to guess it originally would have been what they called dope a type of paint the same thing they used for airplane fabric. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:09 am:

Howard. a couple of ideas, have sign shop create a sign/banner the size You want that attaches to the top / sides of the canvas where You want them. They can be made with snaps so You could take emblems on and off. Other idea have a stencil made and paint the canvas directly.
My two cents worth maybe less ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:09 am:

Maybe butyrate model airplane dope if you can find it, or regular airplane paint. Look at www.aircraftspruce.com for regular paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 01:19 am:

Howard,
Were you saying you DIDN'T want fabric spray?
I just bought some bright red aerosol fabric spray at Michael's to re-do my fabric patio cushions and they came out great! Dried soft and flexible in about 5 minutes (each coat, did 2 coats) and didn't come off on my pants when I sat on it.
Would that help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 04:03 am:

What a NEAT ''T''!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Howard, I just punched in this search and they show a lot of round with red cross sides just punch the "see more images" line under the first gallery.. Hope this helps with what you are trying to accomplish. Jim

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=FXQpW_e-CerRjwSEyZPQCg&q=pictures+of+ ww1+military+ambulances&oq=pictures+of+ww1+military+ambulance&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33 i160k1.8748.56364.0.59168.34.30.0.4.4.0.239.4314.0j28j2.30.0....0...1c.1.64.psy- ab..0.34.4402...0j0i131k1j0i3k1j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1.0.N kWWqwexJ6E

(Message edited by tfan on June 20, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

Thanks James, I've been collecting these images for years and although I can't find anything in print to prove it if I stick to purely period prints and not restored vehicles it seems anytime you see the white circle with red cross it is a vehicle in service to a country other than the United States. Based on the photo evidence I've found so far I'm going to go with white square with red crosses. I've really strived to keep this period correct but it's unbelievable how hard it is to find definite information as to colors and markings. I originally wanted to honor my old branch of service the USMC but even though I had an inside track to the museum they only had one poor image of a WWI USMC truck and zero information on markings so I decided to go with what I could find in photos taken then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Bob, could you give me the name on the paint you bought? All I could find were tiny bottles of craft paint in our Michael's store.

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration