O.T. Michigan Central Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: O.T. Michigan Central Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:11 pm:

The City of Detroit owes Ford Motor Company large for stepping up to spare this outstanding structure from the wreckers's ball. Left to rot for so many decades, Ford is prepared to commit nothing short of a fortune to restore this iconic gem to it's previous grandeur. Great news for Detroit....great news for America.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard Farmland, NJ on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

Great news Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

New York destroyed its old Penn Station in 1963. I wonder if there are any of the grand old stations still operating, other than Union Station in Los Angeles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

Washington dc and philly still use the old stations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 04:50 pm:

Union Station in Denver is still operating. Love to spend time in that gem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Grand Central Terminal is still fully operational and functioning well in New York City.

In fact they are expanding the rail lines adding new capacity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 06:39 pm:

Union Station in Houston is still standing...mostly. It's sort of built into the front of the professional baseball stadium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

For those of you in the area. Ford is having an open house in Michigan central this weekend. Free to the public.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

The open house is this Friday, Saturday and, Sunday. Free and open to the public.

The station has been a mammoth symbol of Detroit's slow and ugly decline.

The resurrection of the station is now a symbol of the city's rise from the "ashes".

The city has been making a remarkable -- nearly miraculous -- come-back in the past few years thanks in large part to Mayor Duggan and Dan Gilbert. And now, the Ford Motor Company.

For anyone who has not been in Detroit in the past few years, if you visited now, you wouldn't believe it's the same place.

Driving home from the Motor Muster through downtown Detroit on Sunday night, I would've thought I was in downtown Chicago it was so alive with traffic and pedestrians!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

Cincinatti is still up and running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 08:50 am:

Hello Dave:
Cincinnati unfortunately just shut down it's Amtrak service within the last month. The Cincinnati Union Terminal has just finished a 250 Million restoration, ensuring that it will be saved for future generations. The lower level is one of the finest Children's Museums in this part of the country.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 10:15 am:

To add to Marty's note:

The Visiting RSVP list is now at capacity and they have opened a wait list.

Sign-up is here: https://fordmcsopenhouse.splashthat.com/

My personal observations, I do not represent the Ford Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:29 am:

I got to go on Tuesday to the Ford employee announcement. It was a very exciting time for me, as a lifelong Detroit area resident I've always wanted to see the inside. It's rough, but Mr. Ford sounds very enthusiastic about it becoming a central hub for the Corktown/Mexicantown/SW Detroit area. I hope he's right.
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:57 am:

The facade of Boston's South Station is still standing and some of the building is still in use for it's intended purpose. What New York did to Penn Station is a national architectural tragedy. It was Jackie Kennedy who realized that, and led a campaign to save Grand Central Station which was on the list of buildings to be destroyed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Many of these grand old stations still exist . Kansas City loves it's old past. While Amtrak still stops in KC 3 or 4 times a day, the station has been turned into a Museum/Exhibition Center and is watched over by the KC Museum System.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 02:50 pm:

St. Louis has a great station also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

Buffalo's Central Terminal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration