1917 Model T Chain Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1917 Model T Chain Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Fields on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Looking for some information on a 1917 Model T I just purchased. It has an aftermarket kit to turn a car into a truck. It is a frame that bolts on to the side of a car chassis and extend it 3-4 feet. The original wheels are replaced with a chain sprocket and larger wheels are mounted on the back with a chain drive connection. (see the attached pictures) It also adds heavy duty leaf springs in the back and the tires are solid rubber with no tubes. The only casting marking I can find says N6.

Anyone know what company would have made this for the Model t back in the early days? I believe this was sold before the Model TT.

Looking for as much background information as possible.

Thanks
Bob 1917 Chain Drive Model T1917 Chain Drive Model T1917 Chain Drive Model T1917 Chain Drive Model T1917 Chain Drive Model T1917 Chain Drive Model T1917 Chain Drive Model T1917 Chain Drive Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Google smith form-a- truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

Very nice Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Not good quallity photo but here is one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

https://www.google.com/search?q=form+a+truck+mtfca&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS737US737&oq=f orm+a+truck+mtfca&aqs=chrome..69i57.5091j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Very cool. What a wonderful project to restore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Fields on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Yes I have talked to some folks about the Smith Form-a-Truck but not sure it is made by them. Attached is a picture of a known Smith vs my truck. Seems to be a lot of differences when you look closely. The only marking I can find is N6.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob
630-975-7902

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 06:56 pm:

Maybe these can be of some use?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/520924.html?1424818006

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/295056.html?1340257869

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Bob, the hub details are little confusing. Usually such kits used an original Ford hub and the sprocket was fitted to that hub, using the same outer plate as was used on the T wheel.
The two different hubcaps have affected your measurements. The hubcap on yours is not a Ford item, and your measurement is made at the raised lip rather than the inside end of the hubcap. I think you will find the two to be the same.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Fields on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 12:20 am:

Allan

Thanks for the feedback. The measurement was an assumption based on the pictures. I only have my truck and yes the hubcap looks different. The big clue to me are the arrowhead shape bracket, the brake rod on the bottom and the casting marking N6.

Still on the treasure hunt but that's what makes it fun.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Bob

Re-check the details of the Graham Brothers truck unit. The Motor Age article copy provides a lot of feature details of this truck unit.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/520924.html?1424818006

Reading all the details and zooming in on the photos of your unit, they are the same.

Especially the use of 'radius rods fitted with an adjusting bolt'. Your unit has this feature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Motor Age 1917

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

here are some pics of my graham. the only thing see different is the hub caps & drive sprockets.mine has the n part #s too. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration