Secure front floor boards?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Secure front floor boards?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 07:09 pm:

Hi, My front floor boards for my touring are not tied down and have a distressing tendency to come off when going over a good bump. How are these normally secured? I do not think these are original floor boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

put a floor mat on them and it will hold them down

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

Mine have been loose lacking a few days short of 104 years and they stay put?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith McGowan on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

If they bounce loose and it bothers you, put a screw in each end of them. That will hold them down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 09:47 pm:

An old trick is to use "turn button" window screen clips. Screw them into the sills.

Then, if you want to remove the floorboards, just turn them so they are parallel with the sides of the floorboards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 04:57 am:

Easier yet, put velcro on them.
Holds very well, no tools needed to remove them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 05:17 am:

This works for my , special on a trailer.
462M
463M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 07:36 am:

If the floorboards were built to the correct Ford specifications and installed properly, they should be a very snug fit and do not need any fastening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 08:29 am:

Apparently, Ford could do neither. Clips were added to the floorboard risers in 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:01 am:

If you install clips just be sure they rotate fully out of the way so the boards can slide past them. Yes re 26 and the Model A's were screwed down. Just because boards are made to factory does not mean they will be snug when installed. Even Model T's can suffer from middle age spread! :-)

(Message edited by redmodelt on June 21, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:11 am:

Mine stay in place while driving. '26. They have a tab for the slanted boards, but the flat one tends to bounce up when I am trailering it. No problem yet while driving. I put a gallon jug of radiator water on the floor while trailering and it seems to stay put.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Just look at those phillips head screws!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 11:26 am:

Erik I had totally forgotten about those screen clips, and here I was about to make my own set somehow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

On one car that gave me some troubles, I used fender washers. Just band sawed off one side so a simple rotate would allow removal, screwed into place with flathead (slotted) screws. Hid nicely under the floor mat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

My floor boards on the '20 runabout were worn so much they would squirm out under my feet. I doctored them a little bit, but they would still come out. I ended up putting floor mats in. So far so good. Velcro sounds like a good idea. I might try that later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Here's another hot tip:

The original floor boards of my dad's 1917 touring had some wiggle room side to side so he tacked shims on one side of he floorboards.

Never had a problem with floor boards popping up but installing the shims eliminated some rattles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Anthonie, I did the screen turn buttons, looks good to me, almost like it belongs.

Turn buttons to hold down floor boards.

Turn buttons to hold down floor boards.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration