Parade advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Parade advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Besides "Don't do it" What advice/driving/coolant/ technique do you recommend for parades. I have a touring car with a Ruckstel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Ive heard some like to drive in circles if its going slow enough to keep the engine cooler. Havent had a parade yet, but will soon.

If youve got a new radiator and clean block it shouldnt overheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

I drive in parades all the time. If you have a good radiator and a clean cooling system it should not boil.
This is what I do. I set the parking brake in the neutral position with the shifter in Ruckstell. Then I set the throttle at a fast idle and tap the low pedal to keep up with the parade. If I start going faster than those in front of me, I coast in neutral The fan will keep air going through the radiator. So I alternate between low, coast, and brake. I haven't had any overheating problems.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Why FAST idle? To keep the fan going faster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

I do like Norm at an idle fast enough not to stall. Never overheated..the Ruckstell is great for parades

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

I do the same as Norm, the fast idle turns the fan faster but I have it a little bit off idle so I don't kill the motor in the middle of a parade. Don't forget a car load of kids and your smile. Have a great time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Keep the timing advanced more than you normally would at that speed.
Most folks I know run with the spark lever all the way down..
Extra air in the tires wouldn’t hurt either.
I ALWAYS drive in parades at a a fast idle, even when standing still.
After about 20 parades I can honestly say I have never had an overheating problem in a parade.
If you have an early T without louvers in the hood sides you may have trouble. I have seen that problem a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

The Warford underdrive in high pedal is perfect for parade style driving. You can maintain a nice pace with good engine rpms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 07:39 am:

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 08:27 am:

I just drove my TT C Cab (see profile) in SA’s Battle of Flowers Parade. Slow Parade and I never used low band. Just low Ruckstell and Warford underdrive and that 5.25:1 differential did the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 08:36 am:

I did my first parade in a Model T 3 days ago; took a high school couple in the parade from school to the civic center for their prom. I don't use the Ruckstell very often (the truck pulls hills quite well with standard gearing); but with the rear shifted down it crept along at parade speed just fine in low with the throttle open a notch or two...we went along like that for half an hour of so and never overheated.

parade

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 11:55 am:

Most of what is posted here is about what I do. About the only time I really bump the throttle up is to get a bit more "SOUND" out of the exhaust whistle. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

When we used to parade a lot we ran it with the hood partially propped open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

I put a block of wood in the hand brake slot so the handle will stay in neutral and not mistakenly drop forward into high gear.
I attach a heavy string to it so I can pull it out quickly if needed.

During the parade I hang back a bit, lock in low to start moving forward, and then coast a bit to catchup. I do not let the low speed band slip any more than needed.

Before the new radiator, I carried a quart spray bottle and when the temp got too high I had someone give the radiator a quick misting.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration