Kit or pattern for top boot?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Kit or pattern for top boot?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

A long time ago there was a company (Carter's??) That sold various kits for tops, boots, etc. My bride can sew anything, so looking for a kit or pattern for the top boot for a 1923 touring. Thanks. D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Unfortunately, none of the top boots sold by the vendors are correct.

Larry Smith is very knowledgeable about top boots. He would know if 1923 Fords were equipped with top boots from the factory. If they were, it would be a matter of borrowing an original to use as a pattern or have someone make drawings for you.

Otherwise, Classtique makes top boots:

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/images/PDF/2016/1909_to_1927_Model_T_Open_C ar.pdf

My father has the original top boot for his 1917 touring. About ten years ago he made a new one (he has a heavy duty Singer tailoring machine from the 1920s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

You might want to check out the "Model T Restoration Handbook"
by Leslie Henry
It has a section on how to make a top boot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

Thank you. Durn, I have that book ... personally autographed by Mr. Henry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

Hey David, if you succeed finding patterns and your bride is as good as you say, I have 4 open cars that I would like top boots for. Interested, drop me a PM and we'll talk, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Top boots were not offered for any slant windshield Fords from late '22-25. They were an accessory for 26-7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Make your own patterns with brown kraft paper. I did that for side curtains that my wife and I made. You will need straps, probably 3, to tie down the front and that anchor under the rear seat cushion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:38 am:

I do like Ted says above. Using the Kraft paper allows you to make changes prior to the final product. When I started making boots, I noticed that most of the ones had no welting around the edges. Ford used welting. I've made several with good results.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration