Tell me the story behind spotlights on Speedsters please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tell me the story behind spotlights on Speedsters please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

I have my own idea as to why Speedsters attract Spotlights, but I wonder if someone could tell me the Folklore/History behind it please?
I have the opportunity to buy a really lovely brass spotlight for my Speedster project and I guess I'm just looking for a little push towards it.
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

I always thought spotlights were popular because there was very little artificial lighting back in the Model T era. Especially in the rural areas. The spotlights could be used to read the road signs or to give better lighting at intersections or driving down rough country roads at night. They would also be great for "night hunting" before "spotlighting" became illegal. This is just my personal thoughts, and there are probably more reasons ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Perhaps those large center mount search lamps were needed.

When the dashing guy in the Ford bug wanted to get away with the farmer's daughter.

That extra beam on the road ahead when he was about to runn-oft at night!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

Way back......when I was still dashing...

my '15 speedster sported a center lamp on the cowl too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

Thanks for the answers Gents, as usual I appreciate it.
This is the Spotlight thats been offered to me and I'm (almost) ready to buy.
As you can see someone has mounted a mesh protector over it, but I think I can remove it and replace the rivets without trouble.
Thanks again & Cheers,
Rob

I have tried and tried to attach these pics the right way up....obviously without success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 12:38 am:

Early days they known as "searchlights"
Very common on boats and yachts and was added to speedsters as a single headlight get around laws
Just my opinions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 12:44 am:

Last speedster biuld

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 11:00 am:

Spot, search or "ditch" lights as they were often referred to started out for Ford as a new car headlight accessory/option when not all cars had a set of two head lights. May have had something to do with it.

Here are some new Model S Runabouts on the shipping dock with a single head light. An "MC" Prest-O-Lite could be used on many of these although the second car seems to have a Prest-O-Lite "B" or "E" tank.

The spot light, gas or electric, is easy to add and here is a 1917 Touring with an acetylene gas lamp addition.

I have a Victor gas light on the running board of my '14 and it boosts my head light by about 1,500 cp. Easy to aim while driving too.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration