Engine starter shaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Engine starter shaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

Hey guys, I picked up a T starter at a garage sale. It works and I can see that a new bushing had been installed where the shaft comes out. I noticed it has a little "play" when I grab the shaft and move it in/out. Is this normal or is there suppose to be no movement at all? I checked one of my "reserve" not rebuilt starters and it has some "play" in it also. IF they do have some end play, how much is allotted? Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

Keith: In this Mike Bender U-tube vid an endplay value of 0.005" is suggested.

http://modelt-tips.com/Electrical/02.html

That comes right after the 31 minute mark. Others may chime in with their recommendations, I have no affiliation with the folks making the video here, but I do appreciate their efforts to show how they do this work. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:16 am:

Thank you James. I checked the end play and it is at .013. Has anyone ever shimmed the bushing for tolerance. And what I mean by shim is removing the bushing from the nose housing, and putting a shim/washer BETWEEN the housing and a new bushing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 11:52 am:

You could put a shim between the bushing and armature. The starter only turns when the button is pressed. It is not uncommon to find (even the hard fiber type) a shim in starters. You could do as you suggested, but once you install a new busing you would have to ream it to size and keep it and the front bearing in alignment. My OP, I would not worry about .013 play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

Thank you, Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

You could use it as is and it would be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

Curious to know if there were other T parts at the garage sale. Not always but sometimes!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

I picked up a T generator also.....$50 for both starter and generator. Don't know if the generator works or not. Being in the Metro Detroit area, I always find T parts and when I do I always pass the info on to members of this forum. I just keep the bare necessity backup items. Thank all of you once again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration