Help me find this part.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Help me find this part.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

Does anyone know a source for the metal tube or sleeve for the valve stem that goes through the wooden felloe for earlier non demountable clincher wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I just make one if I think I need one. Some wood felloe wheels did not have that metal piece.
Some thin wall steel tubing of appropriate size, cut to appropriate length. Two pieces of wood (oak works well, any hard wood, even pine will work fine) about the thickness of the height of the felloe. Clamp together, then drill a hole for a snug fit of the tubing. Clamp the piece of tubing into the blocks of wood using C-clamps. The bottom end flush with the bottom of the blocks, the top end extending above the blocks about an eighth of an inch. Set blocks and tubing onto a solid base, chunk of steel, anvil, whatever hard and heavy. Use a small ball peen hammer (ball end) from inside the tubing to begin working the top edges out. Switching to a slightly larger hammer (if you prefer?) to flatten the top out. Remove piece from blocks and clamps. Clean up the edges with a bench grinder or file.

I have made several such pieces that way.

A consideration. Some, not all, wood felloe wheels like this had the metal piece extend into the steel rim to help keep the wheel rim and felloe from slipping and cutting the tube stem. You may choose to do that or not.

Another thing to consider. Many modern inner tubes have stems that are slightly too large for those stem holes. This is also an easy way to drill out the original in a slightly larger size and be able to replace the metal piece to fit the modern tubes. I would if planning to do this, try to not go any larger than necessary for the new tubes. Don't want to weaken the felloe much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:00 am:

Wayne,

Thanks for the tips. I thought I had remembered reading about people making them before.

I was just curious if anyone was reproducing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:16 am:

You might be a able to buy one from Stutzman's Wheel Shop in Baltic, Ohio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:31 am:

>>>You might be a able to buy one from Stutzman's Wheel Shop in Baltic, Ohio.<<<

I took Noah all the metal parts for a wheel except this one and they made mine out of copper.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on June 23, 2018)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration