OT-Unknown Make

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT-Unknown Make
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Can anyone identify the car in this photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Stretched vertically by 50% to approximate the correct proportions:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:09 am:

Kinda looks like an early teens Oakland touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Thanks Mark for fixing my picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 01:11 pm:

EMF?
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/556881.html?1437532676

Hey, Guys.... It's Summertime - 'Enjoy a Sweet-T with your Sweetie!'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

it looks Buick-ish, about 1912-'13

Does Charley have the day off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

i have a headache so its not an overland so i dont care ha,ha.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

The radiator emblem looks like an Overland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

but its not!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

I don't recognize it. I don't think it is a Buick, I don't think it is an EMF, and I didn't think it was an Overland even before Charley said so. There are similarities, and it could be some model of either, but there were hundreds of other marques that that could be more likely. It might even be a Paige. Very similar to the '12 or '13 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

It sure has an odd cowl.
If only we knew where the photograph was taken!

The outfits look vaguely European and the car could be as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Was it Studebaker that took over EMF? Seems to be around 2013-2015 era by the looks of the lights and lamps. Perhaps it is a take off from the EMF after they sold out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

OPPS, meant to say 1913-1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

RHD, electric horn under cowl lamp and B/B headlamps. I just love these period auto pictures where all tires look low on air pressure and we try hard to maintain 55-60 psi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Daniel S, Studebaker's first foray into automobiles did not go too well. An electric under their name in 1901 was not well designed, and didn't go over well with the buying public. After that, Studebaker was a bit shy about putting their name and reputation onto an automobile. Studebaker at that time had been in business for a half century, and was the largest builder of horse-drawn carriages in the world! They were smart enough to know that their future would soon be in automobiles (John Studebaker was no fool!), so from that point they quietly experimented through funding other companies trying to get into the business. The two most notable companies were Garford and EMF. Studebaker was also involved with Flanders, the "F" of EMF. Studebaker was an early investor into EMF (I don't know for certain whether they were one of the original investors or just soon after?). However, soon after, they bought more into EMF, and by 1912 basically owned the company. In 1912 and '13, there was one model car that was built and sold under either name. Same car, some badged Studebaker, some still badged as EMF, both leaving the same factory.

At this point, this thread is well ON topic for this forum for a couple reasons. One, the Garford name has an odd trivia point. Many more of the radiator scripts survived than the cars did. So many of those scripts survived, that early in the antique auto hobby history, many, dozens, likely several dozen people restoring early Fords, especially pre 1912 models (T and pre T letter cars), cut the "Gar" off the script and used the "ford" because they thought it looked earlier and was neat. This happened on so many early Fords that a lot of people began to think that odd script was correct on early cars.
The other major model T connection, was that when Ford vacated the Piquette Avenue plant after the first couple thousand model Ts were built in it, Studebaker bought the plant. So, through 1915, EMF and Studebaker cars were built in that very same factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

I also think it may be Studebaker. Not quite large enough for the Garford chassis.
People & background do look European but remember nearly all cars at this period up to WW1 were RHD except for the Model T.
Cheers Wayne in NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

As we know, there were a large number of European immigrants around then. This photo was a Post Card photo with the wording in English on the back. It is likely in the US somewhere. Interesting to know about Studebaker building cars in the Piquette Avenue Plant. A good connection with Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:22 pm:

Now thinking a Chalmers, 1910- 12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Does anyone else think this might be a 1913 Buick? They were RHD and there are a lot of similarities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

I think it is a 1912 Buick with a European coach built body.Its kinda like those odd looking (to U.S. based eyes) bodies that turn up on British or Aussie "T"s with their odd angles and slightly different lines.

Here is the original picture with the odd cowl

The outfits look like typical early 20th century European peasant garb- the man's collarless coat, cap and absence of tie, the woman's shawl/babushka.

Here's a 1912 Buick model 34. The type and placement of the headlights is identical. The fenders seem the same as does the rest of the running gear and the steering wheel with its integral controls

And here's a 1913 (note the square radiator emblem) Buick from somewhere on the continent with an obviously non-stock body with a very similar cowl to the original photograph.

And here's the 1912 only round Buick radiator emblem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Daniel S.
I think were on the same track! Whether or not its right.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

that car has a round top radiator????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:08 pm:

Could it be a McLaughlin Buick, made in Canada?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:16 am:

The hood on the mystery car looks nothing like the Buick hoods. It's rounded, while the Buick's has flat panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:21 am:

How about an Everett?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:23 am:

That flat top of cowl says Auburn but nothing else does. Maxwell also has some similarities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:59 am:

In 1913 most cars had that style cowl top.

Larry,

I thought Everitt too, but couldn't find any photos to support that. What's really odd to me is the cowl design, as I mentioned above, is very indicative of 1913, while the back seat & rear door construction and styling looks more 1910-ish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 01:06 pm:

Heres a Chalmers front end with a couple of minor leaguers in the back seat....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Looks to me like a McGlauglin Buick, probably a 1912. Trying to find a good photo. Perhaps some of you internet sleuths can come up with something good for comparison. Keep in mind that people often changed headlamps back in these days so what's on the photo may not be absolutely correct.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 06:01 am:

1912 McLaughlin Buicks at the Toronto Auto Show

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 07:19 am:

OT, OT, if anyone has a round 1912 Buick radiator emblem as shown above for sale, please PM me. Thanks! Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 07:26 am:

whats with the buicks looks like they all had flat top radiators????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Myers on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

It's not a 1913 Empire,but the shape of the cowl and radiator is similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

A round topped radiator on a 1912 McLaughlin Buick!

Possibly an export model....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

Dale, that looks like Ty Cobb on the right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

Marty,
You are a true Detroit-er!

That is indeed Ty Cobb glaring at the camera. The other fella is Cleveland Indian player Napoleon ("nap") LaJoie.

The picture is from the 1910 "Chalmers Award" promotion which sought to give the home-run king that year a brand new Chalmers "30", but in the end became a pretty big baseball scandal at the time-at least until the 1919 Black Sox...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1910_Chalmers_Award

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration