Small open trailer- for people in metro areas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Small open trailer- for people in metro areas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Sine on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Hello I have several friends who live in metropolitan areas and our hemmed in by freeways. They obviously wont go on the freeway for fear of life and limb so are confined to their neighborhoods. I invite them to come out to the Shenandoah valley to tour with our group, but alas they don't have trailers.
Model T collectors as a whole are a very interesting and innovative group. I would hope some of you that live in urban area would post what you use to transport your T's to tours. Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:58 am:

What do those involved think of their Cars/Trucks/Speedsters?? We have seen pictures of everything from high dollar to death traps,but remember just because it's on a trailer is it safe?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

I could understand the need for a trailer if it is long distances, but there has to be surface streets that go under or bypass the freeways. Many of our tours here in Portland Or require travel on city streets and most anywhere we go around here involves traffic, even the rural roads. ( Oregon has basic rule when it comes to speed, rural roads are 55MPH unless other wise marked and most are 2 lanes with narrow or no shoulders)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

I understand where your coming from. I live inner city. I drive my T alot, and have found most work arounds. I have two trailers and none can haul my T, and absolutely no room for another trailer.

I have considered renting a u-haul like box truck. Make a set of ramps, to load up. I have not priced rental costs. The bonus, I only have to store the ramps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Jason, I know that U-HAUL likes to rent trailers to haul cars but I am told that they do not want to have their box trucks haul cars. One friend told a U-Haul location that he wanted to use it for a car and they refused. He went to another location and didn't tell them it was for a car and he had no problem getting it. Just my .02.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Have you ever thought to store a trailer vertically, I used to store my dune buggy trailer that way when I didn't have the space. Stand it up against a telephone pole wrap the safety chains around the pole and snap a lock on them. I would suppose the same idea might work for a small flatbed trailer in a garage, two 4x4 blocks and a winch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

I would believe it.

I heard they won't rent a trailer for a T, as they are not in their data base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 12:59 am:

Mitchel, whatever trailer is to be used in confined, it is much easier to move a single axle trailer than a tandem. Mine has a 12' bed and 4' of drawbar. When doing a promotion for Haigh's Chocolates in East Melbourne, I fitted it into a 17'space. Just unhooked it and rolled it into place on the jockey wheel.
I use the same open trailer whenever transporting my T's, interstate or local.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 01:30 am:

Metro,Inter City,and Urban Is there a good way to secure/safegaurd a rare or expensive car from people or the weather? I also think 4 tires and 4 sets of brakes are much safer. At considerable weight i let my truck move the trailer.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 02:57 am:

U-Haul will not rent an enclosed truck to transport a car in. If you rent one and transport a car on the sly the insurance is null and void. Anything at all happens get your checkbook out, you are gonna need it. I bit the bullet and bought a new trailer about 3 years ago. I store a car in it all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Sine on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

I would like to thank all of you for your posts. I live in the country and have two trailers one open ,one enclosed and two trucks. A regular cab and a dually diesel.I am blessed to have plenty of space to park my stuff. The reason I posted this there are a lot of new T owners I have met that could benefit from people that have been in the hobby for a long time who have solved this trailer issue in a safe manner. Again thank you all for your helpful input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:40 am:

I rented an open trailer from my local U-Haul dealer to haul my 23 roadster. No issues at all. I was even able to use their tiedown harnesses on the front wheels. Towed the trailer sans roadster over 500 miles with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

Here's a nice one: upside down frame rails from a late 1920/early 1930s automobile chassis:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

I have a 16 feet by 77 inches wide flatbed trailer for local transport of my T. I haven't taken it on the highway yet for fear of stone chips. It's not a car trailer but it's rated for Model T weight. I added massive D-rings to the trailer for strapping the car down securely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

Good point Mark, I have towed on an open trailer for 30 years many miles and the towed car does get road dirt as well as the possibility of rock chips. If you care about the paint (or interior for an open car), seriously consider a closed trailer. I haven't had any significant damage but the cars did get pretty dirty and probably picked up a few chips on some trips. Then again I drive my cars on most any kind of road or weather so it's tough to distinguish where any marks came from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

I am looking at a new BigTex 16 Ft trailer, dual axles, brakes etc.

Local price is $2500 in Maine.
18 ft is a few hundred more.
Since I live in NH I can get it without paying sales tax.

I would love to get an enclosed trailer but there is no way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

U-Haul does have the Model T in their data base, but no other early cars. So when I haul a Metz or similar car, it becomes a "Model T".

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

Here's and Idea to consider:

When I was on one of the Kanab Utah tours a guy was parked at the motel with his Model T loaded up on top of the pick up bed.

It was a Very neat arrangement. He had installed some channels along each side of the bed near the top. The wheels were up against a stop in the front and all four locked down securely. As I remember it was like a Ford F250. I went to get my camera but when I returned I saw him driving away. He made the turn and didn't look like it leaned at all. I thought it was a great idea and no trailer towing restrictions. I wish I knew who it was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAVID SPENCE on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 09:20 am:

Hi Gene ,

I was on that trip and have some pictures of the rig but I cant work out how to compress the photo if someone gives me an email address I will happily forward it.

For those on that trip I had a 1915 with the Uk flags on it .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration