Brass Headlamp Fork Adjustment.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Brass Headlamp Fork Adjustment.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig DeNagel on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

I recently added LED bulbs to my 1913 Headlights, but one headlight is shining upward and needs to be adjusted to match the other lamp.
Has anyone had any experience with bending the headlight forks, it looks like they are cast iron so I don't want to break it if that is the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Originals were forged steel and should stand for a lot of adjusting with a plumbers wrench, while many repro headlamp forks have been made out of bronze and would be much more fragile..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

Also, some reproductions have been made out of cast iron. The original forgings are the best, if you can get them. The bronze ones are pretty good. Iron repros depend on who made them and what kind of iron/steel they used for casting. Some heat before bending can help regardless of type. Do not over-heat the bronze ones as anything copper/brass/bronze becomes brittle when over about 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Copper, brass, bronze, and aluminum, all bend best after they have been heated (best temperature varies depending upon metal alloy), and then allowed to cool. This process anneals the metal and makes it softer and more pliable (bendable) for some amount of time. Amount of time also varies upon specific metal as well as how much bending you attempt to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

Wouldn't it be easier to shim the mirror a little rather than bend the fork? Providing the lights are level visually in daylight ect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Craig,

Are you using the Mangin mirrors or the metal bulb type reflectors?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig DeNagel on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

The headlights are the original E&J with glass mirrored reflectors with original steel iron forks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Craig,

It sounds like your bulb is too low in front of the mirror. That will send the light beam high.

Since you are using the Mangin mirrors, raise the bulb in front of the mirror and the beam of light will lower.

I assume:
1) you have the bulb in a "stand" where the burner would be if you were using gas burners.
2) your props are relatively vertical and the E&J buckets are more or less level/horizontal.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig DeNagel on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 05:56 am:

Thanks Ken, Yes I do have a bulb mounted in a bracket that is mounted to the porcelain burner post, I'll try your suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:50 am:

You probably know this but I will add for anyone using the original Mangin mirrors.

To focus the head lamps, I like to set the car up facing my garage door, about thirty feet away. Then 1) slide the bulb/burner post back, or forward, to focus the light beam, and 2) adjust the bulb/flame up or down to aim the beam down the road.

The two beams below the windows are the left and right head lamp beam. I have the left more focused than the right on purpose. These are acetylene gas but the idea is the same. Also, I am closer to the door than I would be to "focus" but is a screen shot out of a video.

The video was made a couple of weeks ago to show the light up and driving my '14 with acetylene gas lights at night. Turned out to be harder than I thought!

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration