Rear spring pad material? U-bolt tension?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear spring pad material? U-bolt tension?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 08:27 am:

Good morning all

We're having a heat wave here in Edmonton and I'm enjoying some early morning T-Time before things heat up.

Job today is replacing the rear spring tie bolt on my '24 Speedster with the proper square-head one from Langs.

I had a stiff leather pad in there before and it lasted OK... wondering if there are better materials to consider. Otherwise I'll put in a new leather one.

Also wondering about how much to tension the U-bolts. Obviously there is a lot of latitude here and I would like to hear opinions on this.

First photo is this morning, second is not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:21 am:

I would stick with the leather. Ford in later years used top material, with leather pads on each end. Russ Furstnow makes very nice leather pads. Bob Bergstadt make a decent center bolt like the early ones, that have a head on them like Ford used in the teens, that will actually go through the pad and into the crossmember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:25 am:

Would that be Bob Rankin helping you? :-) While leather is original and if you have it why not stick with it. I used the woven web material and have not had any issues so far after many years of driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 11:17 am:

And leather it is then.

Bob, IIRC the centre bolt I got from Langs was made by Bob Bergstadt.

Yes Mark, that's Bob Rankin (side note: I can barely wear pants that colour around new cars, much less Model Ts). Photo was taken at the 2013 NWVS Endurance Run out of Leavenworth, WA. There's been a shallow-head bolt in this spring since probably 2011 and I've had to re-centre it every year or two.

We're away most of August and I'm trying to get through the Speedster To-Do list early for a change we hit the road Aug 28 for the 2018 NWVS Labour Day Endurance Run out of Wilsonville, OR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Barclay in west Michigan on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 01:11 pm:

When I had the spring out of my 20 coupe there wasn't any pad, not knowing any better I put it back that way. Is that bad? What is the purpose of the pad? Thanks George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

George, I hate to be obnoxious, which I'm pretty good at, but the pad keeps you spring from wearing into the crossmember. Look at the photo above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Barclay in west Michigan on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

OK stupid question. But the damage in the picture I think was caused by an improper spring bolt not a missing pad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration