Early Head Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Early Head Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

I recently purchased a 13 head. Apparently there are distinct differences in the castings of each year. Only the Month and Day are on the casings.

After Googling this topic, I would like this thread should show PICTURES of the different years and their identifying marks.

I will start with this 13 head. It has a casting date of 5/13/13. Only the month and day are shown. The year is determined by the square casting marks on top.

I am told that the early heads do NOT have the "Made in USA" cast into them. There are also compressing differences.

Here is the tightening chart for reference

My 1910 has the wrong head and I have posted a Wanted Add for the correct head.

Please post pictures and descriptions of your head, with date of manufacturing and compression ration if possible.

Thanks, Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

My question was answered by a phone call. The 7th edition of the MTFCI Judging Guidelines show all of the differences in head design on pages 78 & 79.

I would still like to see pictures of your heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

If you come across them Rod, just to confuse you some, Canadian low heads only have the Ford script on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

I guess we're not supposed to tighten the 15th bolt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

This is the head on my 1910 #24805. Note the date over the Ford script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

I have a 5-13 head with the square casting mark and without Made in on it.
The casting date on my block is 5-15-13.
Sorry no picture hate doing the resize thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

Heres the info you need from the Rhoda parts books and this is in the Judging Guidelines. Of which I recommend purchasing it. As its helped me with parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

Well, I edited and rotated the photos so they wouldnt come out sideways. Seems they did anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

easy way to tell is the bolt boss for the water neck,they enforced them in 11. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:42 pm:

I have posted this one before but will post it here for easy reference for someone. This is on my Jan. 1913 touring. Block was cast 12-24-12, head has 1-20-13 cast date. I am told it was not common to see the entire date like this.

Next is the head I have for my 12 touring. I don't know if its right but was on my 12 when I got it and looks right to me until someone tells me different. :-)

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Bob, your 12 head is correct for your 12.
Well, if your block is older than august anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:45 am:

12 Block I have was cast in Jan. but has an April vin number if I remember correctly. Interesting thing, this 12 head and the aluminum intake and original exhaust manifold and a Kingston 4 ball was on a 26 engine in the 12 touring when I got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

Sounds like your head is too late for your block Bob. I can post or email the pick of what you need.

I cant remember but may be around that time some heads had the threaded ports for the primer cups. Now that would be neat to have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Coming a bit late to this thread..
Here's my Aug 09 head. The white mark isn't a crack, I didn't notice a thread lying across it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration