Beginning Top Bow Refinish.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Beginning Top Bow Refinish.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Hi, I've begun refinishing my touring top bows. They are in good original condition with just surface rust. I am wire brushing and spray painting them black. I have a top made by Classtique still in the box, haven't opened it yet. I see several finger turn fasteners that I've forgotten the name of. There seems to be remnants of cloth at their base. Is there anything I need to do about this?

Top bow fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

The fasteners are called "common sense" fasteners and are for attaching the side curtains. The fasteners have to come off before you de-rust, prime, and paint the top sockets. The wood bows are then attached to the sockets and the bows are wrapped with (drum roll) bow wrap! Then the common sense fasteners are re-attached.

See Classtique's video on 1923-1925 top installation, it shows how the bow wrap is attached.

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php/installation-videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 09:17 pm:

If your wood is still good, brush a coat of sealer on it before you wrap them with bowdrill. When wrapping them be sure to do it on the bias, as it is nearly impossible to do it any other way. Lastly, take note of where all the common sense fasteners go, as you may wish to have side curtains some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:03 am:

There are 8 common sense fasteners. They look grungy I haven't tried to clean them yet are they salvagable? There is also a green strap on one of the bows on one side but not on the other. I can't tell what it is supposed to go to or which side of these bows is the front or the back. What does the green strap go to? Are there any other straps that I need to get? If so which ones and where? There is nothing on the end of the green strap pictured.

Bows with green strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:23 am:

Ignatio, the little part you turn has a shaft with a spring on it to keep the fastener in place when set. If you can still feel the spring action as you turn it, the fastener should be good to use. On later cars these were nickel plated, but that is likely long gone. SAVE the mounting screws. These are as scarce as hen's teeth. Everything these days is Phillips drive.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:50 am:

The green webbing strap are remnants of the tension straps that run from the rear bow to the front bow. When you open the top kit box, you will find new straps to place on your top bows.

'24 touring in process of replacing worn top pads, so the main top cover is now off, but you can see the straps running the length of the top bows. Keeps the tension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:07 am:

If your top is still in the box, take it out now and spread it out in the spare bedroom.

The longer it sits in the box, the harder it is to get the wrinkles out.

I always advise people to take any kit out of the box immediately upon receiving and spread it out.

Have fun, good luck with top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:29 am:

David, I opened the top box. Judging by all the pieces this is going to be quite a project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Ignacio, I thought the same thing with my roadster top. I did it in a couple weekends by myself.some cheap spr ing loaded clamps will help hold things in place while adjusting panels. Take it one step at a time and ask these guys lots of questions and soon it will be finished and you will be dry and in the shade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:41 am:

I have the common-senses and other screwed on gear off and am now ready to de-rust and paint.

There is some bow wrap already on that looks in good condition that I am going to leave alone.

The Classtique kit came with a lot of stuff but I am not sure if it came with bow wrap because I am not sure what it looks like.

top bows without hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 01:45 am:

Bow wrap looks like black cloth or, for the front bow, black vinyl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:21 am:

The bow wrap cloth is cut on the bias (the threads run diagonally). This allows it to stretch over the curves with little or no wrinkling. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration