Speedometer reading slow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speedometer reading slow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

I have a SW 26 on my 12T. It has the right 60 tooth drive gear, SW 2-1/2 right angle drive, new cable. I checked the speedo against a speed detection sign set up in my town to get people to slow down on a residential street. When my speedo read 25 mph, the sign showed 35 mph. Slower speeds were closer in difference. Could it be a gummed up speedo head ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

If the head has not been cleaned and lubricated, I would send it to Russ Furstnow and have him check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:16 am:

Drive by the speed detection sign with you modern car to be sure its accurate or check your T with a smart phone speed ap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 09:37 am:

I concur with Dan.

I use a GPS in my car which shows the speed. My SW reads the same as the GPS. It had been freshly rebuilt by Russ when I bought it.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 09:52 am:

If the distance reading is accurate, the speedo head may need adjustment or cleaning. If the distance also under-reads, then the gearing of the drive is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:18 am:

Guy-
If you go to the trouble to send it to Russ, you might see if he has a series D which would have been used on your 1912. The series D has the rectangular slots for the odometer instead of the port holes.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:41 am:

Thanks for the info guys

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration