Inferior vs. Superior Exhaust Pipes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Inferior vs. Superior Exhaust Pipes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

I've read, on this forum, that the exhaust pipes available from the vendors, are not quite up to par when compared to originals or those made by a few forum members.

The parts chassis that I'm cannibalizing was last a running car in the late 1950's and has an exhaust pipe in very good condition. Are there ways to differentiate a not-so-good one from a good one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 02:00 am:

I haven't yet found an exhaust pipe made for a T that I wasn't able to make work fine with just a little tweaking. Over the years, I have added on to short early styles, and shortened longer later styles to fit second hand pipes to my then current projects, reworked the bell connections, and altered the offsets. All that said, Larry Smith's are the best, and given a choice, one that fits right the first time is always nicer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 02:27 am:

Don, Larry made the 3 different styles of pipes because the vendor pipes were not made correctly. The fit was not so much the issue, the major thing was the bends not made correctly and the angles were not as original. The later style was made made because the vender pipe was quite different the the original. I'm sure Larry can add some more detail, all his pipes are very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:05 am:

The one Bob's sells fit my 26 perfectly once I trimmed 3-4" off the tail end. I would think that's probably the case nowadays when you order from any of the vendors whose owners pick up the phone when you call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

Has anyone seen or heard of a tail pipe with the Ford logo stamped in the pipe, I have one with two stamping's
one close to the front and the other about a foot from the end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

Ooooohhhh....now you have me intrigued Sam.

I'll have to go check the pipe on my parts chassis.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration