Clutch lugs in brake drum. Worst I have seen!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Clutch lugs in brake drum. Worst I have seen!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:39 am:

We have all seen notches worn in the brake drum clutch lugs from the clutch discs. Some of them I use a file to even up and reuse the drum, but this is extreme. Worn through into the output plate bolt holes. This transmission also had cracked low and reverse drums. Still working, engine was pulled for a rod knock. Amazing how these engines could survive under such conditions. A tribute to the genius of the men who designed the model T to be maintained under less than optimum conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Wow Erik, were the rest of the lugs that bad also? Hard to image any type of smooth clutch operation with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Wow, that wear went most of the way thru the bolt!! I bet it came of a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:40 am:

Those lugs made the clutch inoperable for a long time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

All lugs look the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

Yeah, that one's gotta win some sort of prize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

From the looks of the excess wear on the brake drum I have to wonder what the gear thats on the drum looks like!
That kind of wear seems to show that T was jerked around a lot.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration