Transmission noise.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Transmission noise.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:26 am:

Here is a 5 second clip of my 1915 tourer (1918 engine) on YouTube. Can anyone identify the source of the noise (besides tappets)? It happens in high gear as I get up to about 30 mph. I have Ruckstell and Rockies.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOnKB_ERiZU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

Itís hard to tell from the video due to sound quality etc. Rear axle noise tends to travel up the driveline and sound like transmission noise.

Question- does the T still have the Babbitt thrust washers? Sounds like something has crumbled. If thatís the problem the please tend to replacing with new thrust washers the old ones are widow makers.

Search the forum - thrust washers mtfca.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Thanks for your reply, John.
When fitted a Ruckstell I found a Babbit thrust washer chewed up but that is fixed, now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Sounds more like a irratic ignition miss.... CHECK YOUR COILS for proper clearances, points on one coil may not be opening. My 2 centz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 04:18 pm:

Does this noise happen on all kinds of roads? Does it happen when you run in Ruckstell or just when you run in Ford? Can you reproduce it by running at a fast idle, or in low gear?
I don't think it is in the engine. Could be something scraping when you go over a bump. That looks like a bumpy road and I would suspect it is something in the undercarriage such as the brake rods, or the radius rods scraping against something. Maybe even the Ruckstell shifter rod hitting something such as the side of the battery.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Thanks for your suggestions.
I have only noticed it in High gear with Ruckstell in Ford and when I am doing 25-30mph.
It sounds like there is slack in the transmission which is causing it to "hunt". Difficult to describe but it is going "Da Da Da Da" a bit like Morse code. Any more suggestions welcome.
Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

Was hard to decipher the sound, but did hear a repeating rub, rub, rub?

Wasn't rapid, like engine sounds would be at road rpm.

I would look for wheels, brakes, or other rotating assembly moving at lower speed than the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

Yes, it doesn't seem to be coming from the engine as that keeps going and doesn't hesitate.
Dan, as you suggest looking elsewhere, I am wondering if it is the Rockies that are grabbing. I will ease them off to see if it makes any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Colin,

First, it's not transmission noise. When you're in high, you're not using your transmission. The sound is worn ring & pinion gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:37 am:

Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak from one cylinder that fires somewhat erratically,.......???

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration