Who made this conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Who made this conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin furlong on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

the fly wheel and load bearing and water tank later editions. Was this test bed for country mechanics? Or power plant with a Edison generator if it didnít have the fly wheel there is machine marks which could of mounted a generator.there is no markings or places where badges would of been. Has anyone seen another one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

It's a nice conversion, that's for sure! Very heavy duty and business like. Is that entire cast iron base one big oil sump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin furlong on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

Itís not all sump. There is sump cast into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

Looks manufactured to me. I would like to know what the serial number is on that engine? Fairly well known in limited circles, is that Ford sold a lot of engines to outside companies for other uses. Those sales are sometimes referred to as "backdoor" engine sales. They usually get discussed on this forum when someone wants to know why the engine in the model T they just got has a serial number something like AB123. Ford sold either complete or partial engines without serial numbers, not all, but most of them were given a serial number by the company that built whatever after-market industrial use machine the motor was used in. I suspect Ford expected those companies to provide a serial number, but do not know that.
A few years later, sometimes those "backdoor" engines wound up being replaced by newer machinery. Then the engine, or short block, often found themselves in the engine rebuild pool eventually ending up in a model T Ford somewhere. Which in turn causes confusion down the road a ways. More than a few mid '20s blocks have been offered for sale as 1909s because they only had three or four digits in the serial number. It takes more than a low odd number to make an '09 engine.
Seeing one of those engines in its original form is nice for a change!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:31 am:

Starting a T engine from the flywheel? Priceless.
The base is similar looking to a Globe Lighting Plant I have but it sure isn't T powered. I used a similar cooling tower!
I sure hope someone can help! Neat find!
Welcome to model T land. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin furlong on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 03:11 am:

Here is couple more photos. Sorry to say the original block is long gone as dad thought it was nothing special this one was a tired Canadian block I think 1924 for memory.it came from Ashford nsw tiny little town. In the early 90ís thank you for all your thoughts so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

Due to what appears to be a wide flat belt shiv, this engine could have been used to power an overhead drive shaft in a shop. I have an engine lathe that has been converted from overhead flat belt to electric piggyback motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

That pulley had me thinking farm machinery, but power for a line shaft is sure another possibility.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration