Crankshaft Pulley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Crankshaft Pulley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

Do any of the dealers sell an original type crankshaft pulley for a 27 T?. After chasing an elusive knock in my engine, I found that the holes in the pulley for the crank pin were worn and allowing the pulley to move radially. The hole in the crankshaft is ok and the pulley fits tightly on the end of the crank. If new ones are not available and I can't find a good new one, I guess I could have the old one repaired. Any suggestions welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 07:52 pm:

Dave,

Those pulleys do like to wear a little strange. You can get some varies sizes of shim stock material, cut to 1" widths, and tighten the ole girl up. Using a little LocTite Red helps hold the shims together to the pulley/crankshaft. You can still remove the pulley when required. I have found shim stock in .003" thru .006 works well. Align and punch hole using a #2 phillips screw driver.

Happy "T"ing,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

If your pulley is other wise good, and the only problem is that the pin holes are oversize, you could have someone with a lathe drill your pulley at 90 deg to the original holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 09:20 am:

Thanks guys. Pulley is good other than worn pin holes. I'll Take it to a machine shop to have it re-drilled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 09:32 am:

Dave: To answer your original question: Yes, Snyder's should still have late version as we made them for him.
We purposely made the I.D. Smaller so that it would be a tight fit for each worn crank.
http://www.jandm-machine.com/forSale.html

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/authentic-pulleys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 09:33 am:

I have a couple, sent pm, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

they run 95.00 plus postage, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:34 am:

Or weld up the worn holes and redrill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 09:25 am:

we have both early and late in stock, limited supply, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Any re-drilling; Do not forget one hole is smaller on the outside of the pulley then the other so the pin can only come out one way. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Bob. Private message sent. Will call tomorrow

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration