1927 headlight wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1927 headlight wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

Probably a stupid question, but may as well ask.

Building a speedster and am using the 1927 wiring harness to match the 1927 engine, but have earlier mid 20s head lights.

Does it matter if the bright wire (red and black) is on the bottom or top? (Or vise versa, green and black, dim on bottom or top)?

Currently it's with red and black on the top connection of the socket.

I would think that it shouldn't, and neither are really bright or dim wires, but really it's just dim with one part of the bulb on and bright with both on at the same time if that makes sense. Not sure how the dim and bright work on these and if it matters.

Anyways... Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

Remove the plug and rotate 180 degrees. Now they are the same as you wish them to be in relationship to the light switch.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

Would unscrewing the wires and switching them have the same affect?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Yes it would. What I did with my 26 was pointed it at a wall, turned the lights on dim then switched to bright. If both beams moved up I had it right, if not then I switched the wires on the appropriate side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Perfect, thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:35 pm:

John. Be sure Your T has the proper headlight bulbs for a Model T installed with filaments that are in the horizontal position when the bulb is secured in the headlight socket.
Otherwise headlights will shift from side to side rather than up and down when switched between Bright & Dim. Many of the vendor replacement bulbs are incorrect with the filaments vertical. Snyder's has new 32-50 CP bulbs with the correct horizontal filaments.part #T-13007-D
NOS #1158 bulbs are also correct with 21-3 CP recommended for 6 volt generator cars. For 12 volt cars I can't find any of the vendors selling the correct bulbs. You can use vertical filament bulbs if you drill a second screw hole in the headlight can 90 degrees from the original which will line up the headlight socket for horizontal. or go LEDs which don't change the light angle but brightness can be reduced in Dim position for on coming Traffic. My 2 cents worth maybe less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:24 am:

Jim, bought these headlights off eBay and they appear to be restored. New reflectors, paint, etc. I would hope that the person who did them knew what they were doing. I will find out when I hook up a battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

John. You can tell if the bulbs are correct for the Model T Headlight socket by looking at the two guide pins on the base of the bulb they should be lined up with the filaments. Both perpendicular to the two contacts on the bottom of the bulb. looking at headlight can elements will be horizontal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration