23 Touring Top by Cartouche

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 23 Touring Top by Cartouche
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

Hello I recently purchase a new Top by Cartouche and running into install issues. Currently Im stuck on the windbreaker piece. This piece of vinyl goes from the front bow to the windshield to help block rain and wind.

The instructions do not show the correct windshield/pillar configuration for a 23-25 and Im trying to figure out if it mounted over the bow or under. Classtique has a video on YouTube that show above but Cartouche is telling me under.

It would be great if anyone could share their experience or photos of their top focusing on the front bow and windbreaker across the entire front including the brackets that attach the front bow to the pillars.

Thank you so much!
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

Classtique has a video on their website which shows a top Installation on a car like yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith McGowan on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:12 am:

The windbreaker is on the bottom of the top front bow. It tacks to the vertical part of the bow in the front and both outer ends. It needs to be pulled tight from end to end so it works properly and sits against the windshield with no gaps or floppiness.
If the car is a touring the top is somewhat difficult to install with no wrinkles or pulls. Do it on a warm sunny day outside and have a friend help you. There is also a tool made to stretch the top material tight during installation.

I did upholstery on collector cars for 25 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 07:25 am:

Thanks Keith. Do you happen to have any photos? What is the tool to assist with stretching?

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 08:15 am:

This is the kind of tool that was reference, it can get a good grip on material, and in certain instances the knob sticking out one blade can be used to position against top bow and used like a pry bar to pull tighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 11:14 am:

That piece is mounted on the TOP of the bow. The biggest problem is you bought a Car Touche kit instead of a Classtique! I made one of these and copied the original exactly. It works perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith McGowan on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

This photo from page 147 of From Here To Obscurity
clearly shows the piece as being on the bottom of the front bow, pressing against the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

The instruction from Cartouche show the bottom of the front bow above the top of the windshield frame, when in reality the top of the windshield frame is just below the top of the front bow when the top is clamped to the windshield stanchions. When I replaced my top on my '23 last year I put the windbreak on like it was done when the car was restored in 1964. The larger part I put over the top of the front bow, with the smaller sewn on flap hanging down in front of the windshield. The new material is much thinner than the old top, so I put a thin piece of wood trim in between the 2 pieces of vinyl sewn together to make the flap to keep it from going over the windshield when driving. top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Typically that windbreaker is made with folded material, with a pocket that you wrap to the front bow. Most times the windbreaker is a separate piece, and you first wrap the front bow with vinyl to wrap around the curve of the metal iron for neat look.

Flap with snap fastener is for a cut out cover for the windshield wiper arm. This side faces out of course.

This view shows the windbreaker in place, the leading edge hangs down over the windshield frame tube. The tiny arrow on left is that front part of the windbreaker.

This view from front, with bow pads and straps tacked in place, you can see the windbreaker strip.

Just remember to try to keep your tacks and/or staples in the mid-line of the front bow for all the materials, as you can then cover them with the Hidem welting in a neat straight line.

'23 runabout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:43 am:

Here's a picture of the windbreaker during installation on my 1924 cut-off touring car (Betsy):

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:31 am:

Keiths picture and Dan Jensons instructions are for 15-22 open cars. Dan Treaces pictures are in agreement with what Ive seen on original 23-25 open cars. Marks picture is another way to do it, but not the way it was originally done.

Maybe send the top kit back and get one from classtique??? Just the fact that classtique has good instructions for putting the correct top on your car correctly should speak volumes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

I like the provision for the wiper shown, but I don't think that installation is genuine Ford, because Ford didn't use that cobra grain. I didn't incorporate it into my flap for that very reason. Note, the original flap posted by Dan shows the Anzo fastener at the end for the side curtain.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration