Yellowstone again and the Tetons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Yellowstone again and the Tetons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Touring through Yellowstone National Park in a Model T is one of my favorite things in life. Happily we live near enough to it and Grand Teton National Park to visit both. We travel on our own as not many other T tourers live close by. That makes it simple to come as go as we like. However the chance of help if we encounter problems is diminished.

We just returned from a four day trip there. The weather was beautiful and the traffic was tolerable. The little ’09 did very well for the 400+ miles. There are wonderful folks from all over the World there and many of them are delighted to see the old Model T in action. As many of them as we want ask questions and tell us stories. Occasionally one like the German from Malaysia dance around the car with uncontrollable enthusiasm. He ran into the nearby curio store and brought his wife and children out to see. Excitedly he explained the “differential” action of the front wheels as they steered. Also explained was that the radiator was “air cooled”. I take some pride that we are contributing to their enjoyment on their vacation.

We put down the top to fully enjoy the majestic Tetons. Open touring is truly wonderful.
The worry of a breakdown or the minor adjustments along the way only add to the sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. Touring has changed much from the group tours we did 40 years ago. Caravanning at slow speed with increased traffic would be more tedious today. Accommodations get more expensive each year and some days the volume of tourists make for lines and waiting.

But what a delightful way to spend time in the summer. I hope all of you find time to have some adventures soon.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

great pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

I admire you fellows that go on these trips in your T's. I have reservations about driving more than a few miles. One of these days I am going to venture out a bit and try to build some confidence in myself and the car. Great pictures!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

That is what owning a Model T is all about. Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

Great shot of the Tetons, Richard ! I spent a couple summers many years ago doing a concrete freeway job near the town of Rexburg, ID - used to pop over to Jackson Hole & the Tetons often - gorgeous country !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

John, it is tough to take off in a T on a trip like this knowing what can go wrong. I have broken down several times in the last 54 years. I always hear weird noises and sometimes things come loose but most of the time things are repairable. I have broken an axle, a crankshaft and lost bands on these trips. Each time I learned a little. As an armature mechanic for this long is is satisfying to "just arrive" but now I'm addicted to the journey. Remember that your concerns are what make you a better mechanic and driver.
Best of luck.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

Richard,

Our family was just in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone two weeks ago. We had a wonderful time and were amazed at the beauty of God's creation! Thanks for sharing your pictures. It is neat to see pictures of your "T" among the beautiful scenery.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

It is a beautiful, wonderful place to be. Most everyone is on vacation and at their best just like on a car tour. Having a T there just seems to make it complete. It is one more place we can show the fun a Model T can be and share it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

Wonderful Richard, thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

Great photos Rich, thanks for sharing,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

I was re-reading some of Samuel Johnson's essays recently and he said something to the effect that the awesome aspect of a thing diminishes as novelty wears away and looking at Richard's picture of his T with the mountains in the background I wonder if a man waking up every day with such view could ever get to a point of indifference to such majesty. I have no great desire to travel but I sure would like to see some of these places some day. Thanks for posting!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

I'm a lifelong Wyoming resident and only been through Yellowstone once,that was in the '70's on a Harley. Broke a throttle cable and thought I might be there from now on but that's another story. Has to do with the three to four million people that come from all over the world to see it every year,in other words,too crowded. My choice is the Snowy Range Mtns 80 miles west of Cheyenne where you might encounter just a few thousand Coloradoans. But I'm glad Richard enjoys it and he looks right at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

Richard! Wow, I love the photo of mountians and the lake in the back drop. I can tell you have nice weather because we havnt seen a painting in a while. You can take an awesome photo also. Glad your are out driving them instead of always working on them. We went through yellowstone and over bear tooth pass in 04 on the harley. I thought the wife was going to blow a gasget going over the pass. Cant imagine it in a T.
Thanks for sharing the trip with us.
Drive safe and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Rich, It looks like a very enjoyable trip. Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing it with us.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

Beautiful photos Rich. Thanks for taking us with you !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

That trip throughout the parks in Model T is one of my goals in the next couple of years. Been there years ago and I swear Grand Teton National Park is one of the most beautiful spots on the planet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 02:50 pm:

Rich, I probably learned about the national park when I was in grade school. Then I got to high school French class and learned what "grands tétons" meant.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 03:06 pm:

Amen to that Dick!! Our trip to the Tetons was great except when we got to Jackson Hole!! That town was so expensive i'm supprised they let us in! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

Dick, oh, those Frenchie trappers !!! I presume you also learned in French class about the "Gros Ventre" Indians they encountered . . . ? ; - O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

Rich, Im headed out to Idaho then to Yellowstone myself next week! That looks like fun!

Taking my grandmother to visit friends of hers in Idaho, and she said shes never been to Yellowstone, so off we go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Benjamin,Make sure she has her Golden Eagle passport first!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Those pictures make me want to get back up that way in a Model T. Not only Yellowstone and the Tetons, but also Cody, South Pass City, and other great places in the area. Red Rock Lakes NWR would be a wonderful place to visit by Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

We like to sleep in our own beds and fix most of our own meals but have had the opportunity to tow the speedster behind our motorhome to visit the parks. Park the house at a campground just south of Yellowstone and then tour Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in the speedster. Have done the same for Glacier and several other state and regional parks. An open car is the finest way to enjoy these, just try to stay safe around the bears, moose and bison. I'm usually OK with the tourists until they get stupid and completely block the road near wildlife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

Richard,

Beautiful pictures of the Tetons, west Yellowstone with your magnificent looking Model T.

Thank you for sharing and safe travels my friend.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 06:54 am:

That is some first class T touring....thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:58 am:

Glacier is awesome too. We attended the MTFCA National in 2010 with our 2 1/2 year old Granddaughter. It was 3 days up and 3 days back on Montana's secondary roads. I wish it was closer.

All this without a spare tire and an engine that was rebabbitted in 1964. The pistons are scarred from the engine seizing in '64. It seized again on the 2010 trip when we lost water. After cooling we added water and it has run fine since. It's a tough little engine on it's second crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard Farmland, NJ on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 09:15 am:

Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Have to also say Thanks for the pics Rich. Very beautiful. Can only wish I'd make it out that way with my T, but probly never happen. Live too far away. Lodging costs are the real obstacle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 10:05 am:

Yes, the costs keep going up. Most of us have somewhere nearby with beautiful touring possibilities. Out West we can drive many nice places for a day trip and little traffic. On National tours the folks that live there find great touring spots. Making the most two or three trips a year works for us. I certainly enjoy seeing other places through posts on the Forum.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:47 am:

Richard, many of the folks at the Whitefish, MT tour went home through West Yellowstone last year and although our '25 was on a trailer we had a great time again just being in town and visiting our favorite places. Every time we are in W. Yellowstone we see vehicles from the teens to the 50's there. A great place to tour but be careful of furry critters on the road. Great pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

Lodging costs don't have to be an obstacle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Rich,

I understand that the park was not known as "Yellowstone" until after your first visit and the need for a roadside relief stop! :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

Steve, clever of you to use your roadster top for a tent !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Funny Denny. You're an eight.
And yes, Rich, Things were getting intentse for Steve.
The other Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

Oh, all right! Since this discussion is descending fast, I might as well add the story of the fellow who went to the psychiatrist and said, "Doc, I don't know what's the matter with me. Sometimes I think I'm a teepee and sometimes I think I'm a wigwam." "It's obvious," said the doctor, "you're too tense." (Say it aloud - it works better as a spoken joke.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:16 am:

I miss Henny Youngman. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:57 am:

Great pictures Richard. Planing to do Yellowstone soon. This T touring is great fun. We're on a 500 mile circle of western Montana right now. We'll finish up tomorrow. An open car is really a great way to go. Again great pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 01:21 am:

The pictures were just great.
After what Dick wrote, I had to goggle “grand Tetons” and I’m not sure I know how to write what it means on a family forum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:03 am:

Joy explained the popular meaning to our kids and Granddaughter at early ages. They enjoyed the off-color definition. I suppose the early French trappers had been by themselves for quite a while.
Not much is mentioned of the theory that they were "named after the Teton Sioux tribe of Native Americans".
They are magnificent from the other side too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:02 am:

Richard, Great pictures!! bought back lots of fond memories of my wife and my trip there in 2011 on our way from The MTFCA museum to the Pincher Creek Tour in Canada that year. Yellowstone was one of the highlights of our trip across the USA.

Don't want to hijack your thread but I find it sad that some Model T owners have so little faith in their cars that they rule out doing such a short trip around the parks even if they could trailer their car there.

We travelled 10,000 plus miles across the country and back again with only a few minor repairs on the side of the road including 3 flat tires. In a modern car with all the holiday traffic it would be a pain driving around the parks but in a Model T you are going as fast as the park traffic anyway. The Pincher Creek Tour we went back into Glacier one day I don't think anyone thought the traffic was a problem.

We were in Yellowstone at the same time ( arrived at the south gate on the 25th June ) not exactly the same weather as you have.

YP 01

This was the road a few miles into the Park.
YP 02

And this is where we camped the first night. Can't remember the camp ground but we were directed to one which the bears could not get to us with the canvas side tents. They just scraped out a spot out of the snow for us to park in. It got down to zero that night.

YP 03

A bucket list time for sure.

YP 04

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:05 am:

Sorry about the size of the photo's they all are only about 150 KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 10:19 am:

I am glad you found delight in the "Park". It takes a fair amount of fortitude to set out on a trip and deal with what can be lots of traffic. There is more than enough to worry and complain about if that is a goal. But overcoming the pitfalls does make for a wonderful experience.
Thanks for the pictures of your trip Peter.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:07 am:

One of my goals in working on a Model T is to get it in shape for long trips. I guess that includes learning the skills needed to deal with possible adventures like flat tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:09 am:

Grand Tetons view from the top. Tough to maneuver a T to this spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

A man after my own heart!! Did you see the higher peak to your left?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

Rich, what wonderful pictures, Thank you for sharing. My family has been there many times from Colorado and once we did a tour in one of our Model A Fords for a week and then into Montana to join up with our Model T Club that was on tour. I look forward to next years calendar put me on the list.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration