Does your spouse drive your T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Does your spouse drive your T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

I am wondering if your spouse drives you T? Last weekend on a camping trip the topic came up of what would happen I couldn't drive my car for whatever reason could my wife drive me or the car home? My wife drove the car once 20 years ago but isn't interested in driving (she would rather nap and site see). Just curious. Thanks, Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

No, I drive hers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

I'm with Hal. My wife owns the T. She received it as an inheritance.
I have the pleasure of working on it and driving it.
She navigates, shops and plans the trips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Mine wants to learn but I'm afraid to teach her, she might like it and want to use it more than she already uses my 1970 pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

I have had my wife drive mine. Starting is another issue. She can drive it but would rather not. I think the words death trap came up. I grww up with no power steering and marginal brakes. She doesnt mind riding tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

My Wife drives ours and has been doing it for over 50 years, however I drive them almost all of the time. She also claims she was driving a farm tractor at age 4, hauling hay from the field to the barn with a John Deere, so maybe this isn't such a big leap for her.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

Mine has driven several times. She does well but would rather ride. She is afraid she will break them and often things have happened when she has driven them but were not her fault.
We owe these ladies a lot for just putting up with the cars and we T nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

Here in the San Francisco /San Jose area we have seen several ladies driving model T Fords.
A few ladies from the Washington state area have been in our annual Speedster Endurance run over time, as well as our own local ladies.
Actually quite a few times. Many also had a women passenger/navigator on the speedster run.
There have been ladies driving on three day tours that stayed behind the wheel for the entire tour. Even some that owned their T and had no partner to share the car with.
One local club member was badly injured and his wife drove their touring car and speedster in several events, both alone and sometimes with him riding along.
When we farmed in Wisconsin My mother hauled cattle to the South Saint Paul stockyards by herself in a TT that had no starter. It was about forty miles each way. Although it had a Ruxtell for the hills it took the entire day to make the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

A few years ago I worked for a couple that had many antique cars.
Their favorite for model T events was a 1915 touring.
As they got older they had me convert it to a starter car so that if anything happened to him on a tour she could start it and drive it.
Such emergency never happened and they have both gone on to the tour in the sky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

A few women drive their own Ts. Model T Times editor Natalie Peiffer has a beautiful brass T she brings to HCCA tours. Nancy Wall drives hers on many HCCA tours. So does Kathie Conrad, who learned to drive hers after her husband died; she also served a term as an HCCA national director.

On some HCCA tours, there has been a ladies' driving school in a parking lot one afternoon. It's usually, but not always, taught by one or more of the distaff T owners. Three years ago I gave lessons to the granddaughter of an HCCA director at one of these events. She did so well that, the next day, she went in my T and I navigated. She drove over 90 miles on Massachusetts roads on the second day she'd ever driven a T. It can be done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

We don't have one (yet), but when we took the T driver's ed course at the Gilmore she was a better T driver than I. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 02:46 pm:

My wife does not like to drive! So NO way is she going to learn to drive it. She has driven our pickup maybe 5 times in 11 years. The everyday car she avoids like the plague, but will drive it.

My son on the other hand, every chance I give him, he will drive it. Unfortunately, he is not of legal age yet! My brother also wants to learn to drive it, but that is a WHOLE nother story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

No, because I don't have one :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

My wife drives the Ts once on a while. She prefers to ride; doesn’t enjoy the pedal dance too much. She drives our ‘08 Maxwell more often than the Ts, usually a leg or two on each tour we attend. I can’t blame her. I actually find the Maxwell easier to drive too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

My wife? No way. I have offered to teach her many times and she always says no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

I wish she would, but she is afraid to even try. She used to drive a Model A as a daily driver and I keep telling her the T is even easier to drive. You don't need to "grind it until you find it" with the gears. But she won't even try. She won't even drive our pickup which I use to tow the T. I think she would drive the pickup in an emergency. She used to drive a Ford pickup many years ago, but not now. However she usually goes along when we tour. One way to get her to participate is if I participate with her in things she likes to do even if it bores me. In fact I think that's one of the reasons our marriage has lasted over 60 years.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

I'm lucky if she even rides in it. Ugh. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

My wife Rosalie likes to drive in the fast lane.
Here is a video of her driving one of my racers.
It may take a few seconds to upload.
Harry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcbfcC6ClU&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

For 18 years iv tried to get my wife behind the wheel. I’m still trying but my hope is running a little low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

My wife has trouble remembering how to use the dang lawn mower and she uses it often.
She remembers the kids' and grand-kids' birthdays and other things so it's a wash.
Bless her heart.
I ain't never gonna ask her IF she wants to drive a model T. Yikes.
When we go someplace with our moderns? I have her drive usually. She drives a lot with her job. Still scary but I like to look at the scenery!

(Message edited by duey_c on June 27, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:36 pm:

Very interesting thread! You guys have inspired me to push my wife to try it! She has always driven automatics. She has always been reluctant to try it. She is very good to me and has allowed me to acquire some nice antiques, with wheels and without. She is the love of my life and I can’t imagine life without her! She has been living with cancer for the last 6 years so, I don’t want to waste anymore years. I will beg her to go with me to the local high school on the weekend. I will give her the choice of our cars but, I think the Ford will be the easiest. I’ll be with her so, I guess that’s all that matters! Thanks guys for helping this along! I will let you know how it goes....

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 01:44 am:

The San Diego club use to tun a “Learn to Drive” tour in a quiet industrial area on a saturday. During those lessons “most” of the wives learnt to drive a T, including Heather. She preferred not to drive and quite enjoyed navigating and watching the scenery pass by.
There was a funny encounter during one of the Alaska tours when most of the drivers took a plane ride up Mt Denari, leaving just a couple of wives at the hotel. Well there was an earthquake and while she was watching the lites swing around she was thinking “how do I get 12 Model Ts out of here?” Of course we were flying at the time and had no knowledge of the earthquake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:47 am:

Never asked for rides after the first one never asked to drive & I never offered so I guess we're even.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:16 am:

No, but she wants to learn how to drive our 1927 Touring this Summer. She already enjoys T rides so I'm hoping she doesn't enjoy driving more :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

Some years ago on an HCCA tour we held girls driving lessons. This was in Port Angles out on the San Juan Straights.

After lunch the men had to don their ladies hats, and let the women drive. Candy my wife, hopped in our 1909 50 hp Stoddard Dayton, and off we went I was going to give her some pointes but, no need. Around and round the pier she went.

Oh yes we were actually driving on a pier out over the harbor no guard rails, one false move or mistake and we would have been in the salt water.

Candy, can drive every car in our eclectic collection from our 1907 2 cylinder Reo up through the newest cars. Her fav's are the loud and fast ones, her Shelby Cobra and my Ferrari. We figure just in case there is an emergency, she can drive them all.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

She did once about 20 years ago and not since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Mine doesn't LIKE to, but knows how. She will occasionally pull one in or out of the shop, if needed, but doesn't like to drive on the road. She owns her own 1918 Touring, but much prefers for me to do the driving. She's a little more open to driving the A and will drive it to a car show when I'm driving one of the T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

My wife refuses to drive my T's, she says if she does that means she approves of them. Oh well, my 12yr old likes to drive them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:28 pm:

My spouse dives her own 1923 Model T Runabout.

Renea in her 1923 Runabout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Mine drove the 27 speedster and the 27 roadster. She didn't like the bitsa 22 rpu. She is adventurous and will try anything. She was pretty good at it too. We did live rural in the SC midlands so traffic was light with plenty of clay roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

My mother (1919-1997) was never fond of their touring car ('12 T). Something about wind and hot feet on passenger side. She drove it, but only a couple of times.

But when my dad finished up their Model A coupe, she loved it. She just jumped in and drove it without reservation. Whenever they participated in local parades, Mom would drive the A and Dad would drive the T.

Of course Mom did learn to drive on a Graham Paige; about a 1931, I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

When my Dad's parents married in 1936, Grandma didn't drive. Grandad insisted she learn, but being a newlywed, didn't want to teach her himself. So he would drive her to a nearby gravel pit, hand her the keys, climb up and sit on the edge of the pit, and light a cigar, while Grandma down below figured the car out on her own. When the cigar was finished, the lesson was over; Grandad climbed back down and off they drove. It must have worked; Grandma drove the rest of her life and never had an accident.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration