TT Population

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: TT Population
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Has anybody ever made/conducted a population study to ascertain how many of the 1.4 million Model TTs are still functioning?

Just curious as I see very few for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

My question would be, of those identified as a TT, is it part of the 1.4 million TT's? Is is it a 1.4 million TT, or a T converted to a one ton?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

Well, I have 2 complete and part of a 3rd. Maybe just gather some stats from the board.

I know of 3 more local to me in Preston County, WV and another sitting inside the mall in Morgantown, WV.

So 6 complete here that I know of. -Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

Friend has one... Think a 1920 or 22?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 05:04 pm:

We have about 10 TT's in our Dairyland Tin Lizzies.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

George, I got that number from Wikipedia. That is rounded from the tabulation of the year-by-year production numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

I know of about eight in San Diego County. They are fairly common in the area but hardly worth restoring as they are too slow to run on the normal roads and the price is correspondingly low (around $2-3000).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

Have one as a full truck and one as s doodlebug. Know of 4 for sale within 50 miles of me (three of which are ridiculously overpriced).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

A 20 and a 25 here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

Iíve got 1 1/2 and I know of 4 others local

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

I have one and two 1/2's. I know of two others within 15 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

I have two. Fire Truck and a wrecker. Wrecker for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

I have a 25 or so steel cab, am waiting for a wood cabbed truck and a friend has a 25 plus parts for a C cab.
Interesting question! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

I have one and know of one down the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Tuominen on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:57 am:

I have 2, and have worked on 3 others here in southern Maryland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:11 am:

I got one and know where another one is about 40 miles away.

Perhaps the reason you don't see more of them for sale is that once they find a good home, their loving owners don't want to part with them. I know mine won't be for sale any time soon. Heck, my youngest son has already laid claim to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida - #27359 on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:39 am:

Plus 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:04 am:

I have a 1921 Huckster body and parts to put a chassis together. Another chassis and 2 complete trucks in my immediate area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Folks excuse the question...But what defines a Ford TT truck? One criteria should be it was manufactured after 1919. The other solid rear tyres? Is a pre-1919 Ford T chassis with a truck/commercial body a TT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:19 am:

A TT has a much heavier frame and rear axle. It is completely different than a T.

Having said that, I have three complete TT's and four frames with rear ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Where did you get "manufactured after 1919" as a defining criteria? First production year was 1918 (albeit only 3 were produced then). Over 41K were produced in 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 10:55 am:

I have a '25 closed cab. Drive it around town. With a two speed rear end and an aux. transmission w/ overdrive, you can cruise 35 - 40.
Not as comfortable as a touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:17 am:

1924 TT project here. I know of two intact and running that are local for sure, a couple of others that I suspect are still around, and one that was sold off to Texas. I wonder whether the survival rate is more than for cars, the same, or less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Craig, You're right in that a TT is "not as comfortable as a Touring". Our '25 TT C Cab with Express bed doesn't have much of a load in it and it really "rides like a truck!" Besides, you almost have to sit straight up as the back cushion is very thin and completely vertical. You often bounce up and down when the truck hits any kind of a bump.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Probably 30-40 between Austin and San Antone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:28 am:

I have 1 complete and parts of a few more. At least 4 others in my area that I know of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

I get 101-111 plus 11 in pieces so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

I have two, one C Cab with express bed and one closed Cab waiting for me to restore. and a spare closed cab and frame with some misc parts. Have also had two C Cabs that were running and sold. Our local clubs here have maybe 10 more on the road, one a friend has has a turbo on it, been to 60+ mph. My C Cab is for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:04 pm:

I have 2. A '26 and a '27 both closed cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

The defining year of 1919- (If the year was stated to be 1917, some one would disagree with that year too.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

I have one and know where 3 more are around here. I want to ask who is volunteering to keep tally? I also want to say this will be one hell of a thread after we account for all of them. Snowmobiles count too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Clarification of what is a TT and what is not is entirely superfluous. But some just love to complicate the obvious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

I have a C-cab express, cutoff C-cab dump, steel cab express, steel cab wrecker in short express box, TT doodlebug and a TT steel cab on a T car frame. All are runners. 5.5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

What is a TT and what is not a TT ....superfluous?
One month before Ford announced the one ton Ford truck, the Dearborn company (1917) was making available a conversion unit for a Model T Ford to be a standard one ton truck. Granted to the purist may question the chain drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

Michael, you are setting the bar higher at 5.5. Nice. That is a full time job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Complicating the obvious - as usual. A T with an accessory kit is not a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

So tt frame and worm rear keeps it in play?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

Sure does Tim - because that is a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

Put me down for 5 running TT's. At least 5 more in various states of disrepair and 2 running closed cabs on car frames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:48 am:

I have one and I know a guy here locally with at least 5. I think they have a lower survival rate - just guessing, but I think many were just worked to death and scrapped. At least several of the ones I have looked at, were amazingly worn out. Could hardly believe it and that they had kept on going down the road is such a condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 07:41 am:

A TT is a model of truck. Not just any truck with a one ton capacity is a TT. Nor is a T with a bolt on accessory kit bumping up the capacity. A TT is a factory made truck. Are we trying to be hard to get along with here, or do we truly not understand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:33 am:

Above Ron stated:
"Where did you get "manufactured after 1919" as a defining criteria? First production year was 1918 (albeit only 3 were produced then). Over 41K were produced in 1919."

I seem to remember the three being produced in 1917, with 1918 being the first year with a major production total. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:36 am:

Herb, see this from the encyclopedia:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/fdprod.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:37 am:

Also, production year is different from the calendar year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:31 am:

See how much has been learned and shared in this discussion on the Ford TT?

Just a footnote: there is more information that can be amended to the infamous encyclopedia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:56 am:

You get right on that then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Yep.

Might as well add a little more to the lost history of the Ford TT.

The Military was in need of trucks, companies were converting Ts to TTs. The publications of the period were carrying multiple articles in 1917 on how to truck a Ford.

Mid 1917 Ford Announced experimenting with a Truck. Yet there were many companies offering conversion kits.

By the end of the year 1917, Ford had competition from companies that were using the Ford platform and making conversion kits for cars to trucks. In 1917 a book by Manly discusses accessories for the Ford to be a truck or tractor. I bet Henry did not want to lose a dollar and by the end of 1917 he invented the first Ford TT. Just like Ford invented the Automobile.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:27 am:

One more thing, look at the photograph of the Dearborn conversion kit and the photograph in the article on the introduction of the Ford Truck. Similar profile.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

I have a 1925 TT closed cab with express bed on a TT frame, worm gear rear and also a Car base pickup truck like a 1925 roadster pick up but I switch out the the roadster body with a closed cab. Both I build from parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

In the Mile High Chapter of MFTCA, there are 17 TTs either complete or under restoration. There are 3 Depot hacks that could be Ts or TTs, don't know about them.

Cheers,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:00 am:

Here is some more info on the Model TT trucks:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/07/specs-100-year-old-ford-pickup-truck-1918-ford- model-tt/

This seems to mesh with what I have always heard about the first trucks coming out in 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

One TT on the road, two that were cut down and made into doodlebugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

I have a 25 TT in little old Noxon MT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 08:45 am:

1924 C Cab Express Body TT. Photo in my profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Have one TT project here in S/W Missouri

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

I have one running TT hucksters truck and another TT tanker truck undone.
One friend has a TT doodle bug and another friend has a couple of C cabs in the shed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration