Tack Strip Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tack Strip Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:40 am:

Please forgive the amateurishness of the question, but this one area of the T has me flummoxed.

Regarding the wood that goes around the top of seat backs on my 24 Touring....it's completely missing from my car and I just can't wrap my head around what should go there.

I've seen something called a "tack strip" for sale from the vendors and I'm assuming that's what the upholstery tacks to. But then it seems that there's a much more substantial piece of wood that also runs around this contour from side to side that is more structural.

Is this correct...that there's two separate pieces of wood (a tack strip AND a structural piece)?

I've looked at a lot of black touring cars in person, but they've all been fully upholstered cars, so I can't see what's going on there.

The Fordwood site has some good photos, but again, I can't really wrap my head around what I'm seeing there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:46 am:

Maybe these will help:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/664358.html?1470239492

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/396711.html?1384456727

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/743125.html?1491598877

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Don,

The wood was completely missing from my car so I carved some oak for inside the sheet metal. It took a week of after-work evenings.

There are several options for the tack strip. You can buy them if you have the right year. Not available for my year car. You can steam bend them. You can buy the expensive pliable wood (http://www.puretimber.com/cold-bend-hardwood/). Or you can buy plastic strips from the vendors and use heat to bend them (what I did). The plastic does not take tacks as well as the wood.

If you have the right year you can buy all the wood from http://www.classicwoodproductsllc.com/. I visited their shop and it was quite impressive. Takes money and time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

So what I'm seeing is that there are not two pieces.

Instead, on my 24, there should be one rather thick (varying thicknesses) piece that runs continuously all the way around the "bucket".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

Yes, but the one "rather thick" piece is made up of 5 pieces on the rear seat and seven on the front. They are called the "belt rail", or just "rail" in Ford nomenclature.

If a car does not have the 90 degree outwardly bent "lip" at the top of the seats, it takes these rails. If it does have the lip, it uses the tack strips. Early cars, up through '14, had an inner and an outer tack strip, 8 pieces altogether. '15 and later only used the outer, so only had 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

Thank you R.V. Are you the person who had the wood floorboards for sale at Chickasha? If so, I bought a set from you. They're gorgeous.

The beefier rails that I've seen in photos were as you described...made out of multiple pieces.

My 24 Touring does not have the 90 degree bent lip that you describe.

So my assumption is that I just need the belt rail. I also assuming (you know what they say about assumptions) that a couple of these would be sort of ungainly and therefore expensive to ship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

Hi Don: No; that was my brother Jon. We have two totally separate business, we just often vend together. I will pass along your kind words.

A correct belt rail wouldn't be bad at all to ship, as they would go unassembled, but well marked for assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:06 pm:

Ford's 3-15-27 body parts book shows this for the 17-25 touring. The labels don't all make sense to me. Are some items mislabeled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Yes. The front & rear rails are markedly different from one another and individual sections will not interchange, as the drawing labels seem to suggest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

R.V....do you make and sell the rails?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

I am trying to figure how the tack rails work on my '14.
Is the sheet metal seat back sandwich between the tack rails?
Is this right? The pictures are for demonstration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 11:29 am:

Don, I don't, but my brother is going to be. He has the drawings and a couple of touring bodies at his shop for test fitting. I just spoke with him and he is shooting for having them, along with the early firewalls, available by Hershey.

Steve, you are correct; the tops of the seat backs are sandwiched between the inner and the outer tack strips on the '13 & '14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 11:31 am:

R.V., ask Jon to consult with Charley Shaver before he goes into production, Charley used to make body wood kits and is a walking encyclopedia on the subject. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

R.V. Thank for the information.
My apologies to Don for high jacking the thread, but it does have to do with tack strips.
Should I use wood screws from the inside tack strip to secure the outside tack strip?
How is are the top irons secured to the tack strips? Bolt and nut going through or a wood screw going most of the way through?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Steve, I don't see the lip on top of your sheet metal. The outer tack strip is snugged up tight underneath it and held by wood screws that go straight down through countersunk holes in the lip.

The strips are held to the body mounted top support irons by special 1/4" carriage bolts with very small heads and, originally, square (carriage) nuts on the inside. Most guys use hex nuts and lock washers on the inside as they present somewhat less of a sharp profile to the backside of the upholstery material.

FWIW, I supply the correct special bolts and square nuts, if desired. PM me for further information if you like.

rvmodeltATnetsyncDOTnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

Here you go Don. This is a 1924 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:43 am:

Perfect Doug....thank you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration