HCCT replacement parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: HCCT replacement parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 10:34 am:

Hi, I need help finding this part for my HCCT. Is this part needed for testing the coils or is it for the mag in a car? Has any one redone one of these or know someone who does. thank you, any help is welcome. Erick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:04 am:

It would be used for checking on magneto output when hooked up to a car. It could be bypassed and not hooked up if you are just going to use the HCCT to do coils. Seems to me Lang's use to sell a replacement part for this, but for which brand I do not recall. You might call them and ask. Someone might chime in if they can add to this. The single meter (ampere) HCCT I have has the choke(I think that's what it would be called) but is not part of the coil testing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:40 am:

As far as I know the inductor that is part of the HCCT is wired only into the circuit that tests the magneto on the car and it is not part of the circuit that tests the coil units at the HCCT. To confirm this I have seen a few HCCT that worked fine that i know did not have the inductor in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

As per John, the inductor is not needed for testing and adjusting coils.
It is only used as a load when testing a magneto on a running car.

Below is the wiring diagram for a typical HCCT.
As can be seen, the inductor in not in play for normal coil testing.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

A little further thinking on this ...

The coil can be rebuilt.
It would need to be unwound (count the turns).
The laminations would need to be cleaned and reinsulated.
Then rewind the coil with new wire of the same size.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Thank you all for your input. Erick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

There would also be a ground terminal for testing horns and other car magnetos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Ron Patterson “Coilman” has a source for replacement inductors. I’ve bought a couple of them from him over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

OK PDX - Here is the ground terminal. :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

Thank you Eric, I will talk to Ron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

If your meter artwork is bad, Fun Projects has new scales for that. They come in several sizes and models.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration