FJ - If your torque convertor blows apart in your automatic transmission ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: FJ - If your torque convertor blows apart in your automatic transmission ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

Make sure you you replace the transmission cooler with a new one (if your vehicle is equipped with one ).

My 1996 F350 7.3 PSD stopped at a light in Benson, AZ last week.

Then it didn't want to go anywhere ....

Got a transmission shop lined up to rebuild my E4OD with a Hughes triple disc HD convertor - they got it back together & put it in.

It had problems shifting.

They had flushed the lines - hoses - cooler completely (so they thought).

There was enough metal debris in the bottom of the tranny cooler to foul the newly rebuilt tranny & torque convertor ....

So - they had to pull the tranny again - take it & the torque convertor apart - remove all the debris - put it back together & re-install it.

They put in a new tranny cooler.

ALWAYS replace the tranny cooler with a new one if your torque convertor fails - I will replace it every time anyway if the tranny pulled to rebuild or replace.

Flushing can't remove everything ....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

I hope they didn't charge extra for all that extra work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

No,

Family owned shop.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

Thats why I like stick shifts!

Good to hear they made it right and youre back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

Good to hear about a family owned business that cares about the customer. That's a smart businessman. He can't buy the kind of testimonials that you'll be voicing over the years.

Similar thing happened to me because of my own stupidity a few years ago. I trailered my 54 Ford to a muffler shop for a whole new exhaust system. The bottom of the car just barely cleared the trailer lip when I loaded and unloaded it. When I was reloading it with the new exhaust, the muffler caught the lip and wrecked the brand new muffler and tail pipe. So...I wheeled the car right back in and sheepishly asked them to re-do it. They did. When it came time to pay them for the second time, the owner picked up the wrecked muffler and said, "would you look at that...this muffler was obviously defective...no charge to you because of the defective muffler".

I've probably sent a dozen old car guys to him since then. Again...you just can't buy that kind of advertising.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:27 am:

If your vehicle has a trans cooler you should replace it.
If it doesnít have a trans cooler.,,,,,,,,, install one.
They do not cost that much.
Get a cooler and install it in front of the radiator, if possible, and have it plumbed in the return line between the radiator and
Transmission so it cools the fluid that has already gone through the radiator cooler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:40 am:

Been in the automotive repair business for nearly 50 years and basic rule #1 is when ever ANY part grenades you replace automatically, all filters, coolers and blow out all lines associated with the particular failure.

I'm rather surprised that especially a tranny shop would not have followed these basic procedures. I'm sure after spending time, labor, and materials they have learned their lesson. Bet it won't happen again in their shop.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 01:18 am:

I agree Howard ...

In all honesty - I can't recommend the transmission shop ...

They sent a rollback out to pick up my truck last Friday evening.

They said they would do the tear down Saturday - they didn't do it until Monday.

They didn't get it back in the truck until Tuesday evening.

They didn't replace the tranny cooler even though I pointed out to them it might have debris in it.

They didn't test drive the truck for the first time until Wednesday morning.

They didn't tell me about the problems until Wednesday afternoon.

Turns out - I found out they installed this Hughes torque convertor - which is for the later 4R100 transmission:

@ https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-46blxfm/applications/?ibanner=SREPD2

They should have installed this Hughes torque convertor - which is for the E4OD transmission that I have:

@ https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-46alxfm/overview/

They called late Thursday after replacing the valve body - that is when I found out they put in the wrong torque convertor.

So - the tranny gets dropped for the third time tomorrow - hopefully the correct torque convertor gets installed & I get my truck back.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 01:38 am:

WOW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 07:35 am:

I'm with you, Dale. I much prefer a manual shift. However, Ford doesn't even offer one anymore in an F-150. Probably in the 250 and up, but not the 150. So......I had to bite the bullet and go with the automatic. The only other vehicle we own with an automatic is her '67 Mustang. Her daily driver, a '15 Mustang is a manual. She had to get the dealer to find that one. I have young co-workers who couldn't drive a manual if their life depended on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 07:53 am:

I dont know about the lighter trucks, but on the one ton trucks, only Dodge (..err, exuse me- only RAM) has a manual 6 speed available- Ford and GM now only build their trucks with automatics.

It seems the newer generation of 6 speed automatics can handle the stress much better than their ancestors and the mileage differences between a stick and a slush-box are negligible now.

Chrysler is rumored to be dropping their truck manual transmission after this year because it accounts for only a tiny amount of sales.
It guess everybody these days needs that right hand to be wrapped around a portable telephone to text while driving and not a gear knob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:23 am:

Isnít that common sense?!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:29 am:

All of our new fire trucks are automatic. The young people cant drive a standard shift. They would really have fun with the 1950 international we had. We had to get rid of that because they tried to shift it like a 5.0 mustang. Took the tranny out twice in a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:33 am:

Also, donít forget to throughly wash out the tailshaft slip yoke if you have one.
Lots of contaminated oil in there too thatís very close to the Govenor.
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:02 am:

I prefer a manual over an automatic - but there were not a lot of ZF 5 speed trucks built in the platform I like - my last truck was one:

The automatic has a heavier tow capacity but I prefer a manual.

I bought the truck I am driving now last December - one owner.

I just made a bad choice when it came to transmission shops.

A lot of shops donít even build transmissions anymore - they order drop in units from big rebuilders.

The last time I had an E4OD replaced was in Albuquerque a few years ago - it was a drop in unit - the valve body had a bad part - my mechanic ended up fixing the small problem with the new transmission rather than sending back the whole transmission.

You are better off re-building your transmission if you have time & if the case is not cracked.

Oh Well ......

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Jim,
I'm still rocking a 1991 crew cab F-350 with a non turbo 7.3 IDI backed by a ZF-5.
Its slow getting up to speed, but once its there (65-70 mph) it can cruise all day long on its dual tanks!

Its getting a bit shabby and i'm gonna hate to see her go (I think I can squeeze another decade out of her)- but to buy something equivalent these days would set me back +60K!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Just confirms why I take good care of my 2000 F250 7.3PS with a ZF 6 speed 2 wd that I bought new. Just a bit over 400,000 km (250,000 miles). Got it repainted in Mexico last winter. Cost a whole $1,000.00!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

I agree with Dale W. Having said that, in almost 3,000,000 miles of driving I have never had a torque converter fail. I have seen a bunch that have, but never in anything that I was driving. I did back a 3-speed '55 Ford home from Plainville MA to Newton MA one night when the manual tranny blew everything but reverse. I made it, too. Only got stopped by the police once on the 20+ mile reverse gear trip. Sore neck for a couple of days after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:25 am:

Important thing to is to CHANGE THE FLUID regularly! Most people don't. Bad choice. Thanks for that important info Jim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:33 am:

I use full synthetic Valvoline Dex Merc with no other additives - some Walmarts still carry it for $18 a gallon - otherwise it is $30 at Autozone.

I used to put a couple bottles of Lubeguard in - but stopped because I think it makes the tranny fluid too slippery - you need good friction.

I drain the torque convertor - pan - put a new filter in about every 15K miles.

Got my truck back late yesterday.

Everything seems to be ok.

Back to driving ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:34 am:

Similar problem with my dads Dodge 1500.There was a check valve in the lines to the cooler that apparently was full of trash and a 100 miles later,a total rebuild was in order again. No charge but was without truck for another week.I prefer stick but my left leg has gotten to the point of saying No you need automatic or I am going o hurt to bad for you to walk once you get where you are going. So my newest truck is a 5 speed auto.I am at Denton farm park now.Towed the camper with it, that tow-haul mode has some odd shift patterns. But it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:43 am:

I'm lucky Mark, altho it's slowly recovering from the break a year-and-a-half ago, it's my right leg that's the problem. No trouble driving a manual which is the way god intended that gears be shifted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 10:44 am:

I hate the tow haul mode in our 2015 gas F-250!! If i'm going down grade i want to think for myself instead of the truck downshifting on it's owne.When towing i set the shift to stay in 5'th and i can also shift it and it will stay where i want.My grandson still has our old 7.3.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Only had one automatic to fail (don't remember whether it was trans or converter), but never had a standard to fail, although my autos have out numbered my standards by five to one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

I have a 1999 F500 slide bed tow truck with the 7.3 diesel and a ZF 6 speed. When the Transmission began to make a few noises with 265,000 miles, I decided to get it fixed.

I checked with tranny shops and got negative responses seems the parts are only available from Ford and very expensive.

The Ford parts guy suggested a Ford factory program, a new ZF exchange. Figuring the cost would be over the moon, I asked the price he quoted $7000.00 . Then he told me about a very little known program supported by the factory and the dealer.

If you have the transmission replaced by the dealer in their shop, The cost for the new transmission was $2700 plus labor and clutch if needed.

So I opted for their exchange program, The tota cost for transmission, clutch and labor was $3700.00.

I got a new transmission, new clutch assembly, flywheel, fluids and their labor. The best part was the transmission has a warranty 100,000 miles.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Howard,

Sounds like they need ZF 6 speed tranny cores.

Helluva deal ...

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

Just draining todays automatic transmissions will NOT get all the contaminated fluids out of the torque converters and the valve bodies.

In my wife's Subaru Service Centers we employ transmission flush machines that hook up to the cooler lines. You then start the car and put the transmission in drive. Then turn the flush machine on which uses the transmission pump to push out the old fluid while allowing the new fresh fluid to enter through the cooler line.

There is a clear fluid monitor flow meter in the output line so you can monitor the old fluid by the contaminated color once the fluid is running clear pink the service is complete. It will take some 30 minutes to complete the service. Most newer transmissions not CVT's take about 16 quarts. On Subaru automatics there is an exterior spin on filter which we replace with this service.

these power flush machines are the only way to get all of the old fluid out of the transmission and especially the torque converter.

If someone tells you they can drain and fill your automatic that's not the complete removal of fluid, that's a waste of your money.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

Howard ,

On the E4OD - if you drop the pan & replace the filter - then disconnect the return line at the rear of the tranny & install a short piece of rubber tranny line ( less than a foot ) so it will reach an empty gallon tranny fluid or plastic water jug ......

Then slowly fill (7) quarts at the dipstick ( for shallow factory 2WD pan) - then start the engine & watch the fluid fill the jug
from the hose - you shift thru the gears while you do this.

It works better with an assistant in the truck to turn the engine on & off while shifting the gears - I do it by myself.

If you run (3) gallons thru the tranny in this manner you will have flushed out the tranny & torque convertor using the tranny pump - you end up running (19) quarts thru the tranny.

Just do a gallon at a time remembering to fill each time at the dipstick tube.

Make sure you correctly tighten the return line when finished.

The truck I am driving now had brown (not burned) fluid when I bought it - I did the first flush with regular tranny fluid & ran it a couple hundred miles - then flushed again with Valvoline Dex Merc full synthetic fluid.

Check the recommendation for your transmission to make sure you use the right fluid.

I ended up getting 300K miles out of the original tranny doing this.

I get a small mortar mixing tub at Home Depot or Loweís to put under the tranny pan to catch the pan & fluid when servicing the tranny - I do this at an Autozone or Oíreilly Auto parts so I can take the fluid inside for disposal.

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration