Sometimes its the Little Things

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Sometimes its the Little Things
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:36 pm:

Since I've owned my T it has always turned over rather slowly, and i always wondered if this was just the normal result of having a 6V system, or if there was another reason. The car has a fairly new starter and i cleaned all the connections i could, especially the ground/frame contacts, with no noticeable improvement. The one huge mistake i made was trusting that my cables looked pretty good visually, although i knew they were probably 30+ years old. I decided to swap them out today, and the difference is amazing, it now turns over twice as fast as it did before. :-) When i pulled them out and got a closer look at them, i could kick myself for not figuring this out sooner.

On a happier note, thanks to whoever makes these new cables for our T's, they're very well made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:10 am:

John,I went through the same scenario. As you say.... what a difference! Having the correct gauge of cable goes a long way too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 04:19 am:

One of the best ways to find minor issues like this is to run the starter with the ignition off for a short while (fifteen seconds should be enough!), then carefully run your fingers over every inch of every cable and connection. High resistance poor connections will almost always produce a noticeable warm area. I say "carefully" because sometimes that "warm area" is a bit more than a little warm. I still have a small scar on one finger from locating a high resistance intermittent connection on the starter solenoid of a modern car about ten years ago.

Glad you got your T working a little bit better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 01:24 pm:

I noticed the same thing on my 1919 Roadster. The battery cables were either originals or older replacement cables that seemed to look OK.
I finally spent the money and got new battery and starter cables and there was a really noticeable difference.
I later replaced all of the wiring in the coil box, timer wiring and switch wiring.
There was more of a difference this time! Smoother running and starting.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration