Best practice for towing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Best practice for towing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

Been thinking lately I should have a plan in place for towing my 26, if and when it fails.
Up to now I have been able to limp off to the side of the road, until the trailer arrives, or make it home.
I carry a nylon tow strap under the back seat but I don't think attaching it to the front axle is a good idea. Hooking onto the frame is the logical place,... just wondering if anyone has devised a quick gadget for this?

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

Go get your trailer or call a wrecker. Towing a Model T is not a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 02:20 pm:

Not asking if it is good idea or not.... I have a trailer.
More to the point, how do you get the unit on a trailer with out attaching the winch line onto the front axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

Pre-1923 (no radiator lower apron) you can rig to the front frame member. So long as all four wheels turn freely you can hitch to the front axle for the short pull onto a trailer. If the radius rod ball and socket are so loose it won't stand that little bit of a tug, you shouldn't be driving the car !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

Dave:
we are all aware of the issues with towing a model T any distance without the engine turning to circulate oil that being said I have never experienced a problem with towing a T to get it off the road ( few miles at low speeds ) or for that matter loading on a trailer by attaching a strap to the front axel that ASSUMING the radius rod ball and socket are in decent condition and the car will roll easily always an optimist gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks for the advice guys.
I think I will mount a cable attachment. There is a hole in both sides of the frame, right behind the steering column pivot on the left side and a matching hole on the right side frame rail.
I will likely use this to strap the car down when on a trailer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration