Engine runs rough

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Engine runs rough
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Had my engine completely over hauled by a well known builder and have never heard of any trouble from his engines. The engine idles like it should but jumps and bucks on high speed and has very little power. Gas line is open, float is set right all openings seem to be open when I blow air through them, Anderson timer is vaselined Timer contacts do not touch anything when I advance the timer Help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

Mine was doing a similar thing. Make sure your coils are tight up against their contacts. Wedge them in with a few folded up business cards (my fix) to make them tight. When my car would lug a little when shifting into high it would vibrate enough to break the coils contact with the ones in the box and from there the misfiring would self propagate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Check the timer.
What timer are you using?
I just had a similar problem while helping a new couple and after a few minutes I pulled the new roller type timer and after less than 200 miles it was junk. I replaced it and the car runs great. The car was a fresh restoration last year with the engine being completely rebuilt. Some new parts arenít correct and problems can and do occur.
I hope this helps,
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Sorry, I didnít see that you had an Anderson. The timer most likely isnít the problem.
As the previous poster said, you have a coil thatís not making contact or one coil going bad. Thatís my guess, but weird things can occur.
Respectfully,
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

Check your gasoline. I just stopped and got gas for my Touring the other day and barely made it home. Had it out again tonight with a friend and I had to turn around and come back home and take his modern car. I'm going to drain my tank tomorrow and put gas in from a different station. The car was running great before I stopped and got gas and now it runs like crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

I run stabilizer in all of my T,s and small engines

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration