Old Photo-Alcohol station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Alcohol station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:57 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 11:14 am:

So what do you do with denatured alcohol?

According to a 1917 off print from Dyke's on the maintenance of the Ford, the alcohol is mixed with kerosene and poured into each cylinder when the engine is hot. Allowed to set over night to loosen up carbon in the head and pistons.

Recommended every 200 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 11:31 am:

The alcohol was mixed with water and used as winter engine coolant. The “denatured “ was a version of ethyl alcohol that was undrinkable , so no “sin taxes” were charged. Ethyl alcohol is not hard on rubber hoses etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

You are correct that Ethyl alcohol is not hard on rubber hoses (Jaguar used to recommend a every-three year brake system flush with Ethyl alcohol), but the same is not true of all synthetic rubber hoses. Ask me how I know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

Denatured alcohol has many uses. For example, it is the solvent in shellac. It is used in alcohol lamps and burners. I use it all the time for cleaning. I usually pick it up cheap at estate sales instead of paying full price at the hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

The old pump looks a little like this one. I'll bet Charley S. could tell us more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

I shouldn't admit to using E-85 as a cleaning solvent. it dissolves oil, old oil and carbon. Used it to get grease off my rockys. I don't believe it is as flammable as gasoline, burning with a low blue flame. Cheaper than alcohol at the store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

they are bowser pumps cast iron in the old pic tin in richards pic. i have them all. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:12 am:

I Have a cheap plastic battery screw driver that the plastic case had started to degrade and became very sticky like I have seen other plastic bodied tools,cameras and other items do.
I took the screwdriver and gave it a about a dozen wipe downs with a rag soaked in alcohol and finally
the layers of sticky stuff started to dissolve and the tool is like new except it took the shine off the least of my problems.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration